Program transponder on remote key fob

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielz000

Hi All,

I managed to get my hands on a spare remote fob and got a key cut for it.

I'm trying to program it to start the car (it unlocks the doors with the blade or buttons fine) but it's failing to by pass the immobiliser.

I've have two keys which both start the car without a problem.

I've tried the following a number of times to program the new remote fob but it has failed each time.

1) Insert the first working key into the ignition switch to position II for 1 sec and/or until the red light turns off. Remove key.
2) Immediately repeat step 1 with second working key.
3) Within 5 seconds insert new (not working) key and switch to position II for 4 seconds. Switch to off for 5 seconds. Attempt to start car.

I have also tried disconnecting the wire block located under the carpet between the door and the accelerator.

Could someone give me some suggests as to why the key won't start the car?

So far I've thought of these reasons...
1) transponder is broke in fob
2) the car already has 8 keys programmed to it :?
3) I'm doing something wrong
4) I have an incompatible fob.

The problem I have is I can't figure out if any of these assumptions are right or wrong...

Cheers,

Dan

When I did this I found I wasn't doing it fast enough on my first attempts, try doing it quicker.

Cheers Bud, I'll give that a try when I get home and see how it goes. Any suggestions on what bits I should speed up? Is it just the bit where I flick to position II or the entire process?

Strangly, I managed to start the car with the unprogrammed key, however after switching back to off the key will no longer start the engine, would this suggest the car had entered learning mode but was unable to accept/program the key?

Also, I noticed a guide on ebay ( http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Ford-PATS-Transponder-Key-Programming_W0QQugidZ10000000012552761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) that suggests how to erase lost keys. It's the only guide I could find on deleting keys, do you know (or anyone else) if it will work and/or is safe to do?

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers Martin,

I was a bit worried about that accidently happening which was why I asked if anyone had tried it but the guide suggests the 2 keys required to do the delete won't be deleted...

I'm just concered there may already be 8 keys programmed to it as neither of the 2 I have are original...

So here goes...

I tried doing it faster and slower but it made no difference.

I also tried using the ebay guide to delete other keys but that didn't help either (not sure if it actually deleted the other keys but luckily the existing keys continued to work).

Does anyone know how I can figure out if the transponder I have is compatible with the car? I believe it came from a Mondeo but I don't know what year...

Cheers,

Dan

Another possibility.....
Your 2 working keys may be clones and not unique. Some places only clone keys (basically ends up being an exact copy as the other) so the car only see's one key even though you've used two to try and programme another.

Awww. I never thought of that. I guess it's something for me to consider. I'll be able to check that tonight by seeing whether I can start the car using just one programmed key and then the unprogrammed key. If not and it needs 2 keys to start the car with the unprogrammed key I guess it'll be fair to assume they're different...

Cheers Dan

I have one Red key, one black and a two button remote. I can't get the remote fob to program either. :cry:

Hey topman / marchy,

Could you post the different codes written on the remote / key to the thread, and what model ford (if any) the key came from... I'll do mine when I get home, maybe there will be a pattern?

I guess if anyone else reads this thread and has a remote / key that does work it might be useful for you to post the details to so we can use them as a comparison...

Cheers Dan.

So, to get this straight:

RED (non remote) KEY: Opens doors and starts engine.
BLACK (non remote) KEY: Opens doors and starts engine.
Got second hand two button fob off Ebay (no details about the car it came from).
Got new blank blade off Ebay.
Put blank blade on second hand fob, took this and Red key to Timpsons to get blank cut.

Now, new blank attached to second hand fob will open doors (manually and remotely) and turn on ignition. It will not start the engine. Red light by clock flashes like it's life depends on it!

I have opened the fob and these are the numbers on it:
G1UHK PA
95BG 15K601 AA
5WK4 604

As you have a "Black", you have the 3 button remote.
The method shown in the ebay guide to delete other keys is the one in the Puma Guide. The exception to this is that after you do the following (highlighted) the Control Light will flash for 5 seconds.
"Re-insert the second key and turn to position II, and back off, now take the first key again and turn to position II, and leave it on for at least 5 seconds, this will erase all the keys from the system except for the two keys used for the erasure."
I have used this method to delete additional keys and reprogram new ones and you will not lose the programming on the 2 keys used for this operation.

In addition, on some of the later Puma, the fog light switch lights up during some programming procedures.

It is highly unlikely, but there is a programme (Spare Key Programming Switch) that can be set by a Ford dealer to prevent extra keys being coded. This can, for example, be used for Rental/Hire/Contract cars to prevent people programming another key and stealing the car later.

A little info I got when buying my keys....not 100% sure if it right but I have no reason to doubt the person who told me and depending on how old your car is it could be the reason.

I was told that the letters after 15K601 i.e. 'AA' in your case basically refer to the 'issue number' of the keys (like a car being Mark I, Mark II etc) and more importantly that any subsequent ones are backwards compatible, so an AB is ok for an original AA, and AC is ok for an AA & AB and finally an AD will work on all previous ones.

Your car 'may' be a later issue and therefore the AA won't work as it was an earlier one and is not forwards compatible.

Just something I thought may be a possibility :eek:k:

By key appears to have 98AG15K601AC 725. Apparently it came from a Mondeo (not sure of the year). The Puma is a W (2000) reg.

I was going to write the details down on the remote part of the key but I guess that's only for the central locking...

Topman, don't the Puma's with a fully red (master) key need to be programmed differently to the other Puma's? What year is your model?

Hi Yog,

Unfortunately I no longer have a Puma Black, it was stolen :'(

I now have a red Form Puma (2000).

The remote I have is a 3 button remote (code is in my previous post).

I did read somewhere about the switch that stopped keys being programmed... Is there any way for me to check if it was enabled? Not that I have any reason to suspect the car was ever a rental car but maybe Ford did it for a quick buck :(

YOG said:
The exception to this is that after you do the following (highlighted) the Control Light will flash for 5 seconds.

So once I switch back to off after re-inserting the first key, I should expect the light next to the clock to flash for 5 seconds?

I don't know whether it did that before but I'll check it later and see...

"Insert the key in the ignition switch, turn to position II and hold. The control light flashes for five seconds."
You can download the later version of the "Owner's Guide" here and the instructions are on page 56:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fq7p9omol87m2wj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did read somewhere about the switch that stopped keys being programmed... Is there any way for me to check if it was enabled?

I guess that would have to be checked on the Ford dealer's machine.

danielz000 said:
Topman, don't the Puma's with a fully red (master) key need to be programmed differently to the other Puma's? What year is your model?

That, I have no idea about! The year of the car is 1998 'R' plate.

Well, I tried deleting the additional keys as described, this time I noticed the light flash for 5 seconds after I did it, so I guess the keys I have are not clones of each other, and there's no other keys programmed to start the car.

Unfortunately I still can't program the fob I have so the only option I have now is to try one of the AD keys as Yippiekiay suggested...

Back