Renewing Front Discs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigsby

My brakes have been feeling very strange of late and the ABS and TC lights have also come on, so took the front wheels off to take a look today.

Wow, glad I did as on inspection the discs are very worn, the outer disc surface is worn with quite a lip at the top but still looks acceptable, however the other (inside) disc surface is rough and very pitted and in places has no shiny metallic surface but worn, corroded and pitted - the outside diameter top edges, particular on the inside are very corroded and much has crumbled away leaving the inside brake surface very rough and uneven for the first 10-15 mm from the edge. I measured the thickness of the disc and they are coming out between 20.5 and 20.75 mm (not sure what the tolerances are). I think they might be knackered... ;-) :oops:

The good thing is the ABS disc ring things both look to be okay and not broken, so I hope the lights are just caused by a duff sensor. The sad thing is that the pads have loads of meat left on them, in fact they don't look very old, looking almost full thickness, I have done about 2500 miles on these pads but have no idea how many they have done in total (doesn't look like much). Shame, but I presume they will have to be replaced when I do the discs (I know it is always recommended - I suspect the disc should have been replaced when these pads were last).

Are there any recommendations on which make of discs and pads to go for and any good priced places to get them from - I would like to leave it as standard (so don't wish to do any conversions). Its currently got the 259 mm diameter discs (2001 Thunder).

Thanks for any help guys.

I bought these recently for our Thunder:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-16V-Coupe-1997-2002-EC-Mintex-Front-Brake-Pads-Discs-Kit-/131016491912?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item1e81310388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will do the job perfectly well.

Dal said:
I bought these recently for our Thunder:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-16V-Coupe-1997-2002-EC-Mintex-Front-Brake-Pads-Discs-Kit-/131016491912?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item1e81310388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will do the job perfectly well.
Thank very much for that info Dal. I have seen people mention Brembo stuff on here before - are they any better or about the same or is there no point in looking any further? The price of that Mintex set looks very competitive and like you say will do the job...

If you're not going to track it that often and just drive within the limits of the car day to day, then they'll be fine.

Brake manufacturer preference is just that, preference. There's very little proof that X is better than Y make - just opinion - especially for standard bits..

Back