Rust proofing product

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian cox

Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations for a rust proofing product that i can apply before applying body colour paint.
I am just looking to keep rust at bay before repairing properly. The areas are generally unseen, e.g. behind wheel liners/underneath of the car.

Thanks Ian

Bilt Hamber Hydrate80 is good stuff. Not cheap but does exactly what is says on the tin (bottle) :)

Yesterday I did my gearbox mount and decided to spray some treatment in and around the front box section and subframe while it was out.

I watch a guy on YouTube called South Main Autos, he's in New York where they get a lot of snow and salt in the winter and it rusts their cars even more quickly than ours.

He is always on about using a product called 'fluid film' so I did some research and found what I think is a UK/EU alternative called 'Supertrol'. Basically an aerosol can containing a thick oily-waxy fluid that sets semi-solid where it's sprayed.

I know Waxoyl does the same thing but I've always found it a bit thick and difficult to get to vulnerable areas. This stuff comes with a thin straw that attaches to aerosol so you can poke it into the hard-to-reach areas.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 66
Vactan is the product of choice over at the RX8 OC, seems very reasonable. I haven't used it myself I must add.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53657

I used Vactan extensively when I was in the Navy. It it a very nice product for a quick patch when used correctly but if the affected area continues to be subject to harsh conditions, it wont last long. Also, very important to read and follow the directions correctly because it gives the initial appearance of being a miracle coating but in fact it is not.

Latest posts

Back