So whos got the highest milage Puma ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really, really positive and promising to hear about all of these high mile Pumas that are still beating! .... Mine's just hit 71k so it's brilliant to know that I've got a good chance of having to spend all my money on new arch work in the next few years, instead of replacement engines! :grin:

dunno about mileage but as of easter i'll be on my 3rd engine!!!!

180k on original engine. No idea how as these engines ar usually well prone for eating themselves lol

Daveyca55 said:
No idea how as these engines ar usually well prone for eating themselves lol

Not by the looks of all these hi milers kicking about.
reckon its a lack of timing belt changes that make them go kaputsky! or infrequent oil changes.

There were some batches of 1.7's that suffered from nikasil lining breakdown or something. I'm not sure if it was an actual bad batch or perhaps they weren't run in properly or had low oil early on...if you search the site you'll probably find some stuff about it.

138.5k and counting...

Mine's on 140k. Part of me wants to see how long it'll go for. I think the rest of the car will crumble around the engine before it fails.

The Nikasil issue was caused by a lag between engine designers and fuel suppliers of the time. A load of engines made around that period suffered from failure. Basically under certain conditions the sulphur in fuel makes sulphuric acid and eats away at the liners and degrades.

Jag's AJV8 was the most famous but most manufacturers around the time were affected by it due to the varying amounts of sulphur in fuels around the world. Pretty much everywhere has low sulphur fuel now though so really by this point if they've not been replaced or broken already, you're probably fine.

slayllian said:
Daveyca55 said:
No idea how as these engines ar usually well prone for eating themselves lol

Not by the looks of all these hi milers kicking about.
reckon its a lack of timing belt changes that make them go kaputsky! or infrequent oil changes.
It's the lack of oil changes that usually kill these things. Found out mine was owned by a hire company for the first 6 years of it's life so was well looked after. Seen some of these engines last less than 80,000 miles due to missing just a few services. Goes to show really, if an engine's looked after, it will usually last a lot longer than the rest of the car (especially in the case of fords! lol).

im not sure about this nikasil thing....i put a magnet on my bores (ooer!) and it stuck! was prompted by my engine builder who reckoned there just steel.....even in the 1.7

Tremona said first thing likely to get mine will be the (soon to be) rusty body work :x got to sort it this summer! Underneath isn't perfect but not bad for its age and have one tiny patch on wheel arch despite having new metal welded in less than a year ago :roll:

i havent got a high mileage puma but my focus diesel just hit 193,000 miles! suprised its still going to be honest

Back