ST150 Upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrick18

I'm looking at doing a front suspension/brake upgrade on my 02 Puma.
I believe the ST150 is a straight swap. Rang a local breakers for check for spares and was asked if it was a MK5 or MK6 ST150.
Anyone know which is the straight swap? Or is there even a difference?

Thanks all.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one fiesta ST150. The one with 2.0 NA engine producing 150 bhp. It was superseeded with 1.6 ecoboost model producing 182 bhp. you need the brakes from the former, not the later model.

+1. Confusingly some people refer to the 2002-08 Fiesta as the "Mk5" and others refer to the MK4 facelift (1999-02) as "Mk5". Not helped by Ford who would be the first to pretend a facelift was a brand new car.

So as WEC says, if it's between 2002-08 and it has the 2.0 NA engine, those are the brakes you want. You also need the brackets that hold them to the hub carriers, in addition to the calipers themselves.

When I got 2nd hand bits for mine I took the time to clean and paint them, then treated to a new set of seals. But not entirely necessary if the ones you get are OK.

I managed to get my hands on second hand st150 front struts, brakes etc. Unfortunately drivers side caliper is siezed solid. I'm having real trouble sourcing a caliper in NI and I have a targa event on Friday so eBay won't have delivered on time.
Are there any alternative calipers that would fit this setup? I'm guessing not.

If you check on my thread (see the signature) there you will find the dimensions of piston. I think the piston is (from my memory) the same as in the late puma brakes (the ones with 258 mm front discs). The pads are the same for the focus ST170 so I am GUESSING the calipers are the same, the only difference being the carrier (as ST170 uses 300 mm discs, and ST150 has 280 mm).
I hope that might be helpfull. I would also try lookingat the mondeo calipers if you can find ones (Mondeo 2000.-ish year build, some call it Mk3, some Mk2); to avoid confusion the one that had ST220 version.
In any case, you would need the ST150 carriers and bolts.
Regarding the seized piston, try pushing it out by compressed air, or by grease (line screwed to the caliper and pump the grease inside)

I managed to finally get a new (remanufactured) caliper.
Everything was looking good, until I put my fan blade wheels back on. The caliper rubs the inside of the rim.
Nooooooo.
Thankfully I have another full set of rims, off a millennium I have as a donor an they fit fine. They don't look as good and are not in as good a condition as the fan blades, but small price to pay for a targa car.
Braking definately improved with the upgrade and handling seems better too with the st150 struts.
I did notice a burning smell on my test drive though and now I'm wondering if my other caliper is also playing up.
I'll have to chance it now though as I've an event tomorrow night and don't have time to look at it between now and then .
Thanks for all the info guys, all really helpful and lots to think about for future mods or fixes

Latest posts

Back