The Red FRP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Brilliant White would look spot on. There is a white Puma with black alloys on ebay at the moment. It looks nice. :)

Vitch-w said:
i agree :
german20turbo20puma.jpg

Gaaaaaaaaaawp!!
I'll price it up, problem with having it done in a Candy is that the cost will double.

Would need re-priming, new base colour laying down (that picture looks like a silver to me) and then the candy top colour (red) and lacquer!
To re-do it in a flat red it would just be a case of rubbing down the current layer, colour & lacquer!

I'll get some samples first and decide from there! :twisted:

PumaBen said:
I think the Brilliant White would look spot on. There is a white Puma with black alloys on ebay at the moment. It looks nice. :)

Got a link handy?
I had a look but couldn't find it.

There is an origional Porsche Colour thats a metallic/mica mix from the late 80s called "Porsche candy apple red"or Velvet Red Metallic - Paint code 81L
So no need for the complex Kandy prep(new base colour laying down ).

Shall investigate that one then!

If it doesn't need a base colour it can't be a true candy, candy paints by nature are just tinted lacquers.
Will have a gander and see what I can find!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

The first Candy paint was metal flake reds and blues and appeared on Fairground rides like dodgems in the 40s and 50s, were cellulose based solid colours, no laquer or physically blasted with real aluminium flakes and then laquered. Two pack acrylic candy in the late 70s/early 80s red base with mixed flakes and deep coats of laquer did the job then. The newer Kandy(not candy) is the 3 stage tinted laquer variant is expensive but an expert sprayer with a few extra coats of clear can make the frp as lustrous and deep as the one pictured.
Also, about ten years ago, sprayed a 91 GTE astra in Porsche Velvet Red Metallic, its not hard to tint laquer slightly to give it more depth, didn't turn out as deep as candy but pretty close.

Stupendous work !

Would like to find a "how to" change the door trims, I really want to do as you've done !
Red alcanta ?

Thanks.

my car is black anyway marcus so thats not a problem :) think im going to do some carbon a pillars once iv fitted my pods and smoothed them into the pillar. rather than cover then or paint them ill do them carbon. also want to do my steering wheel cowling where the indicator stalks are as the leather doesnt allow the screws to fit in tight enough without tearing it. top work fella

oh and how much is this stuff if i wanted to do my roof and my bonnet lol

philalix said:
Would like to find a "how to" change the door trims, I really want to do as you've done !
Working on it at the moment for you, thread can be found here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@ Clarkie
I've been looking for some pods myself, mainly just the oil pressure one so I can monitor it from the cab since I do 300 miles a week.

With regards to the vinyl cost, best bet is to measure the pieces you're doing and add it all up then compare costs against lots of smaller sheets against one big sheet.

Worked out £3 cheaper (inc postage) for me to buy several small sheets rather than one large one and I ended up with more vinyl than the 1 sheet, every little helps! :wink:

Few shots from last weekend after a good clean!

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Also, had the front wheels off earlier to paint the calipers, this looks knackered?

IMG_0006.jpg

new drop links matey- maybe track rod ends as well

The driveshaft looks ropey as well

All replacable though buddy

Scotty1.7 said:
new drop links matey- maybe track rod ends as well
Are they the same as standard Puma ones or am I about to be raped and forced into buying FRP specific ones?
Quick look on eBay suggests drop links are around £10-15 for the pair and £5-10 each for Track Rod Ends.

Also, quickly jumping back to the random connectors on the front panel, I traced the wiring back up towards the rear of the bay, and like Dunc said at the meet, there are indeed a couple of relays wired up to them

IMG_0013-1.jpg

So fog / spot lamps was a good guess, pat yourselves on the back! :wink:

Oh and I nearly forgot...

PumaSpacers02.jpg

I can sort those stupid rear wheels out now!!! :p

I have a set of those with a complete set of new bolts.. but it's so low on my list of things to do they're somewhere in the garage lol.

Looking good though mate, I'm pretty sure the drop links are the same and probably the track rod ends too. Also from memory a Focus one fits the standard Puma too.

Well, new drop links ordered tonight, currently eyeing up some CompBrake track rod ends & trying to justify it to myself. :wink:
If possible I'll get the replacment drop links coated before hand, depends if I can pull them apart enough.

Heading over to Ford tomorrow to try and locate these magical M10 x 60mm, 10.9 grade bolts that people seem to be having trouble locating for the rear spacers.

Picked up a new fuel filter the other day as well so hopefully by weekend, I'll have an interesting stockpile of parts to play with.

Getting there.... I think! :roll:

Latest posts

Back