To puma or not to Puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narthur

Right then i've a imperial blue ZS fantastic car but i do sometimes feel i could do with abit more power and sharper looks. Now the big question..

Puma's are very common and lots of ladies drive them so in some respects thats a good thing as i'd more than likely buy from a lady driver hopefully they don't thrash there cars as much.

Anyhow's should i sell the ZS and buy a puma? is the 1.6 > 1.7 jump really worth going from grp 8 insurance to grp 15 i think.. although arguably i do love the puma's looks..

Would want one in silver just like dals really maybe with a euro rim instead but would cross that hurdle later..

OR i could just go th FRP route lol but thats costly

ah ok.. well i'd go for a 1.7 for sure.. just wondering as 1.7 is meant to be quicker than a zs.. not that it really matters but i've had the zs for over a year now.

For me to get a puma aside from the looks i'd want to feel a performance increase to justify selling and buying another car thats so similar, identical inside etc..

I think its 11 or 12, its nowhere near as high as 15. 15 is Boxster territory i think.

In terms of straightline speed then no, the jump isnt really going to be that much. The puma is more of a drivers car than the fiesta, its strength is in its handling.

Group 15 is for the FRP only; standard 1.7 is 12/13 from memory, it's somewhere around the site!

If you're only doing it for power then it may not be worth it.. possibly consider a Subaru or something.

If you are doing it for a good all round package then it's definitely worth it :D

red said:
Group 15 is for the FRP only; standard 1.7 is 12/13 from memory, it's somewhere around the site!

If you're only doing it for power then it may not be worth it.. possibly consider a Subaru or something.

If you are doing it for a good all round package then it's definitely worth it :D

i think i've made my mind up tbh i'm just looking for reassurance.. lol.
there fantastic looking cars. Esp in silver : )

I nearly got an imp blue zs but went for a 1.6 puma as they feel a bit more special than a fiesta. Also, people who know little about cars look wil look at a ZS and think its just another modded fiesta. A puma looks great even today and stands out. If you want something really special I'd go for a racing puma, but a 1.7 would still be a great buy.

Welcome, go for a 1.7. Yes the 1.6 is stronger but if your after more speed then it's the only one to go for.

The FRP is hardly any quicker on the straights :wink: Does corner better though if your willing to push.

A ZS is 10 seconds or 9.9 to 60 where as an early (up to 2000) puma is 8.8 to 60. The later ones (with 2 hego sensors on the bulkhead) are a tad slower as they are controlled for emissions tighter. Straight line isn't the thing though as others have said, it's the corners. (Especially if you lower it with shaprened suspension.. and 17s if you don't mind the hard ride)

1.7 is group 12 apart from Black, Millenniums and Thunders as they are 13 (supposedly as their leather interior is dearer to replace if claimed for I assume as they are no different otherwise)

Best way to find out is have some test drives or go to one of our meets sometime and go for a drive.

Test drive a 1.7, see what you reckon. Handle v similarly to a ZS imo but the 1.7 has that bit extra power to compliment the chassis.

The puma is similar to a ZS, but not quite the same. There are a few differences which make all the difference to the handling.

The suspension and shocks are different specs, different thicker front wishbones, and the wheelbase at the rear is wider. It was very carefully engineered to handle better than just a fiesta with a different shell.

The engine is more than just 0.1 litres more. It revs much more freely than the normal zetecs for a start.

Test drive a puma, you won't regret it. :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back