Turbo charging project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then you don't get exciting noises which is boring lol. Depends how anal you are I guess

taken from PF

Brief explanation:
Surge is caused by stall, which is worsened by surge, its a vicious circle...

Imagine the way our turbocharger's compressor is driven, right back to basics: The turbine wheel is spun by exhaust gas, utilising also the energy stored in the exhaust gas as latent heat.

This force on the turbine shaft generates torque at the compressor end as they are physically connected. Remember that part as its the key element, Torque

Ok,
Now lets imagine our turbocharger compressing air, forcing it into the engine, the engine is utilising it.. what happens then? Ok, The engine expells it, and our turbine housing pressure goes up accordingly, the torque applied at the turbine wheel increases, increasing the spin speed and compressor efficiency at the other end. Great chain of events!
End Result? boost is climbing nicely.

Ok,
Now imagine this scenario:
The turbo begins to spin, as above, but the compressor wheel is generating more air than we can move and the torque required to spin that huge compressor is not being met? Remember that unless the air is processed by the engine, and expelled as hot, rapidly moving air into the turbine housing, our turbine shaft torque will not increase to spin the compressor faster, and it may well diminish.. our compressor is slowing, braked massively by the compressed air its trying to overcome and increase.....

Result? Compressor starts to slow a little.. (beginings of a compressor stall)

Ok,
So now what?
The engine is still rotating and consuming air, but the turbo has stopped producing an excess, so our engine has now had chance to consume what excess was available and the inlet pressure is now diminishing, the turbine torque is now increasing again...

VERY IMPORTANT:
Remember also that at same time, compressor resistance to spin has also dropped due to housing no longer being as pressurised and as a result, the torque required to spin it has dropped massively..

Boom.. Suddenly the Turbine wheels torque massively exceeds the compressors resistance and the turbo spins to speed in an instant!! Sounds great, rapid boost climb!! The compressors acceerating at over 2G

BUT:
We just hit the same problem again, our huge compressor has made so much boost, so fast, and is trying so hard to push the massive volume or air, that our YB cant use it.... so we start to slow again........

So we went: Fast, slow, fast, slow, or in other words: The turbo is Surging.
As you can imagine, it continues this cycle until it hits the revs your engine consumes all the air.. then your away!!

Downsides to this surge are pretty obvious:
We can have serious bearing wear, due to the excessive loads imparted on the shaft supports.

Compressors have been known to simply explode!!

Worst case scenario, the compressor being slowed rapidly with a turbine still trying to accelerate it can simply do as expected, part company.

Hope this helps to explain in as simple terms as i can put it, the phenomena known as "Turbo Surge."

must say i didnt realse compressors have exploded due to it :|

ok got a short clip of the car running,didnt give it full beans to keep things legal and all :) will do a better video up the test tracks at some point,you will probably need to turn your volume up abit as its abit quiet

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3HL4tpj38[/youtube]

How much did you pay for the parts in total? Only the bits necassary to convert to a turbo set-up... May consider this, as I already have a brand new garrett turbo sat in my shed :)

just a rough list for low boost to get you up and running

modded manifold to mount the turbo flange plate
Turbo
Turbo flange plate
flange plate gasket
oil feed hose
oil feed adapter to block
oil feed hose fitting (screws into the oil feed adapter)
oil feed hose fitting for the turbo
oil return hose fitting on the sump
oil return hose
intercooler
intercooler piping kit
pipe clamps
reducer for the boost pipe to turbo
reducer for TB
reducer for the induction to turbo (depends on the turbo)
reducer for MAF
dumpvalve hose
i will need to count how many 90 degree hose connectors i used
downpipe
adjustable fuel pressure regulator + adapter
oil catch tank
A/F ratio gauge
boost gauge
dumpvalve
some vacuum hose
i would uprate the clutch to the std one doesnt like it lol

looks like my paypal account is going to get raped over the summer :grin: lol
I can make the manifold, flange plate and gasket, will already have catch can and some bits of hard pipe for air filter as it needs to be changed with my manifold.. what turbo have you used? The one I have is for a new diesel car of some description, but I'm going to guess that for a low pressure setup it won't matter too much

Sorry couple more questions for you :lol:
Does your setup work ok without altering the ignition?
Which boost adjusting fuel regulator have you used?
Is there a good increase in performance from such a low boost pressure?

:)

no problem,it seemed fine running with a std tape ecu,i havent got the same setup now and didnt put it on a rolling road,but it felt pretty quick :) any good quality adjustable fuel pressure regulator will do the one ive got now is a sard, i think if you set it up well you could get about 180bhp with 6 or 7 psi.

hi guys havent update for a while now so thought i would let you know what im up to with the car, a few months back i started getting a bit of smoke on idle so i took the turbo off to see if the seals where gone and couldnt find anything wrong, with chatting to pumanoob about what could be the cause i decided to take the head off and replace the valve stem oil seals as it was one of the possible causes, while the head was off it would have been rude not to fit a decompression plate to run more boost :lol:

when stripping it down to take the head off i found this

image.php

image.php

image.php

chatting to pumanoob we think this was the cause of the smoke :eek:k:

a few more pics with the head off

image.php

after a good clean up re lapped the valves and fitted new valve stem oil seals

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

while i had the inlet manifold and tb off i ported the inlet the same size as the 2.0l tb

image.php

image.php

new dumpvalve :)

image.php

because of to much oil being pushed up the block breather into the inlet i rerouted it to the catch tank

image.php

ok next up was the clutch the std one wasnt taking low boost that well so needed to be changed so i fitted a paddle clutch, here is a pic of the old clutch plate has done 87.000 miles

image.php

image.php

new paddle clutch

image.php

then i swapped the turbo housing to a new turbo

image.php

image.php

also fitted a boost controller and a sard regulator

image.php

image.php

image.php

all back together

image.php

had to take the manifold and turbo off 4 times after! had a blow i just couldnt find.

im now starting to fit a microsquirt but wiring is not my fortay,it doesnt help im dyslexic and colour blind so its a tough one :roll:

image.php

i would just like to add i was a complete novice taking this on and it wouldnt have been possible without the help from a good friend Erroll (pumanoob) he has helped me no end at all hours of the day :) thank you mate

As much as it is appealing, I could find better ways to spend 5 grand...
So there are two options... continue the way i'm currently going which is very similar to what you have achieved but doing a little more to the engine components from that company. Or the other option is that Paulob1 is trying to design a turbo package similar to the Van Aaken from years back... If that is sucsessful then there is scope for that...

Youve put a hell of a lot of work into this mate, looking forward to seeing it finished!! That microsquirt looks tiny, youve still got a glovebox!! Mines pretty much full with my ECU & wires!!! Whats that wire coming off it with the plug on??

its to plug it into the laptop, it is tiny i thought i had been done when i opened the box i thought they had sent me the loom and a EDIS module lol

im not that up on management :oops: when i ordered it they just said it was the latest megasquirt now called mircosquirt v3,as you can see its a hell of alot smaller its sealed and is water resistant, also says its got a new dual spark feature other than that i think it pretty much the same.

Latest posts

Back