Wassup - Newbie here from West London

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma09

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum after purchasing a gorgeous 99 Black 1.7 Puma on Wednesday to replace my 02 Silver 1.6 MGZR that has just given up ghost...

Puma09Panther.jpg

Look forward to chatting with some of you soon I hope... Now I need to start reading all the tips etc.. about Puma's :p

Anyone else on here Surrey/Middlesex/West London way?

Cheers,

Lawrence

Welcome to the site Lawrence

Enjoy your new car :D

Any questions then just let us know :eek:k:

Hello and welcome (now that you're able to log in ;)), hope you enjoy the little corner of the internet we've carved for ourselves here. :eek:k:

Thanks for all the welcomes... enjoying the car so far, but only done a couple of local drives as I am being carefull until the car is sevices on Monday :wink: (Just to be safe and sound)

Have the car booked in with Ford for: Major Service & Break Fluid Change also asked them to change the Cam Belt and Auxiliary Belt but they said they will check them and advise if they need changing when they are doing the service.

Man this has been stressfull!!! Have two cars, both taxed and insured but need to get back to one asap as temp insurance on the Puma ends Tuesday and I need to get rid of the MGZR first before I can transfer the insurance over. Don't have any way of getting the MGZR or Puma off the road so have to keep them both fully taxed and insured for now. Thankfully the MGZR is now listed on eBay on a three day auction so hopefully (3 bidders as I type) that will be gone on Monday and I can then get the Puma fully insured and I'm sorted :roll:

Oh well... Not a great month for me so far, but fingers crossed it will start to improve now :lol:

Speak soon,

Lawrence

Hi and welcome.

Goodluck with the auction! My ex had a MGZS 120+ which was ok, until the headgasket blew (3 times)! They are known for it - better car is the Rover 420i DOHC (see my pics in old gallery) which never had the issues presented with MG Rover engines 1.4-1.8i :) 2.0 more power and reliable - I had mine for 10 years as a runabout dog carrying car!

More better you have a Puma now - excellent choice, it looks fab! Enjoy!

nippydee said:
Hi and welcome.

Goodluck with the auction! My ex had a MGZS 120+ which was ok, until the headgasket blew (3 times)! They are known for it - better car is the Rover 420i DOHC (see my pics in old gallery) which never had the issues presented with MG Rover engines 1.4-1.8i :) 2.0 more power and reliable - I had mine for 10 years as a runabout dog carrying car!

More better you have a Puma now - excellent choice, it looks fab! Enjoy!

Thanks Tina, will be happy once the MG is gone... Hopefully not long now!

A friend offered me their drive to get the MG off the road until the auction finishes tomorrow and it's collected, so at least I can now transfer my insurance over :)

Glad to hear the Puma was a good choice, we came together by pure luck really; as I had been bidding on VW Golf's and Polos but they were going over my budget as they were newer cars and then the Puma came in the sale room and I started biddding... :roll:

Was a bit wary of the purchase to start with as I didn't know anything about Pumas and was worrried about the age but feeling a lot happier now and have really fallen for the car. The idea was to buy a temp motor to tie me over till I could get a loan for a new car but now I have the Puma as long as all goes well with the service I think I will keep her!

Mark1 said:
Welcome, and congrats on the new Pu' :)

:wink: Thanks Mark

wazzup!

welcome to the fun site! :)

If you need a speclist, take a trip to tremona in southampton, he knows pumas so well, probally better than Ford do! :)

Hi Spike,

Thanks for the recommendation... I have heard nothing but good things about Tremona and if they were a little closer I would defo be taking the car there. Only reason i decided to go to Ford is that they are local and I wanted the car checked out i.e Cam belt, Break fluid etc.. before doing any long drives. (Just to be on the safe side ;))

thats fair enough! you'll prob need a cambelt, unless done in last 5 yrs!

Tremona even do cambelts cold, so drop the car night before, so it'll cool, this ensures the engine will not move while belt is being changed, thus upsetting the VCT :)

Probably just aswell I hadn't driven to Tremona... Dropped the car off at Ford this morning for the Major Service, Break fluid change & Cam check. They called 1/2 an hour ago saying she also needs:

Cam Belt Replaced
Aux Belt Replaced
Rocket Cover Gasket Replaced
Passenger side Suspention Bush Replaced

With the Major service, break fluid change and various fluids top-up's total = £930.00

:teary: :teary: :teary:

Just had to call my parents and ask to borrow more money... but I guess it's better to start with the car in good order than leaving it till it's too late!

Just need to move MG insurance over now and hope it's not too much of a jump price wise :?

How much!?

What ever they've said needs doing i'd phone a couple more garages like Tremona and ask for a price!

You can find a lot of places that will change your cambelt / aux belt for under £300 all in, I had my old puma done at pumabuild for like £270 .. a major service and bush wouldn't take it over £500 I doubt!

:x Damn, didn't even think about ringing round just gave the go ahead straight away... Can you tell i'm new to all this. LOL

Should have posted before giving the go ahead - Doh...

Too late now as they are already working on the car but lesson learnt!

Oh well at least I can start to feel a bit more releaxed now as I have had the importmant stuff done and hopefully myself and the Puma will have a long life together :p

are they changing your water pump with the cambelt etc? usually recommended to do so at this time

Latest posts

Back