Which Toyo tyres

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimjim

Hi,

Need four new boots for my 1.7 and it looks like the Toyo ones seem to have quite good reviews here. I noticed theres 2 types available for about the the same price, the T1R and the PX4. Any views on which ones work best for our cars or are they much the same?

Thanks

Jim

Try here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have T1Rs on the rear and am very pleased with them so far (couldn't afford PE2s this time!) but have no knowledge of PX4s.

I've no direct experience with the PX4's but have with the T1R (and it's predecessor the T1S) on both 17" and 15" alloys.

Personally I think they match the car very well offering good and direct handling.

Also never had the PX's but am onto my second set for the fronts and the rears have been on for around 25k with a mountain of tread still on them - although they're now on the front.

Can't fault them in the dry one bit, if at all they're a little skitty in the wet but a lot better than previous tyres I've had. Also I found out mine need to be wider because of the wheels I have so that might compromise them a little but I can't complain.

Thanks for the opinions, I reckon I'll go for a set of T1R's. Nice to be able to have the option of a budget/mid-price tyre that works well!

Cheers

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but mine has Proxes 4 on the back and T1Rs on the front.

There can't be that much of a difference surely - it's the same company. One thing to note is that the tread on the Proxes 4s are much less sporty-looking than the directional, sweeping grooves on the fronts.

martinblueprint said:
There can't be that much of a difference surely - it's the same company.

Like there is very little difference between a Ka and a Focus RS you mean?

I think I'd examine that statement critically were I you.

Suspension and handling designers work on the assumption that all four tyres will be the same. That's the way the suspension is tuned. However if you don't like the handling compromise they settle for then there is no reason not to use different tyres to modify the set up. On the understeering Puma I would always be tempted to put less effective tyres on the back to subdue the understeering a little.

Back