To those who have fitted tow-bars to their Pumas

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-B-

What are your experiences?

What bar did you fit?

What have you towed?

Encounters with the law?

Has anyone identified the physical differences between the MK4 Fiesta and the Puma, which qualify the Fiesta suitable for towing? I’m sceptical that Ford just couldn’t be bothered to homologate the Puma for towing, so I’m guessing there are structural differences, and can those differences be strengthened up, while fitting the towbar?

This is what I plan towing, just 200-300kg, not a caravan.

kgrhqviefcj01btsobqukvj.jpg

I don't know about the UK but as a previous owner of a Fiesta Mk.4 I wasn't allowed to fit a towbar either on that car. It was fitted but only homologated for carrying stuff like a bycicle rack. Max. allowed weight was something like 50kg. There are roof racks available though for the Puma, I own one of the very rare examples. In our Dutch club I am the only member owning one.

Interesting Sjoerd. I think I’m right in stating the UK Mk4 Fiesta is allowed to tow, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don’t think I’m going to fit a 200kg motorcycle on the roof! :p

-B- said:
Interesting Sjoerd. I think I’m right in stating the UK Mk4 Fiesta is allowed to tow, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don’t think I’m going to fit a 200kg motorcycle on the roof! :p

I am 100% sure that there are towbars for sale but it was never homologated to fit here except when only used to fit a bike rack. It was never on my paperwork. Perhaps it'd be worth ringing the lawmakers and try to find out. Isn't there some procedure for 1-vehicle allowal of parts if it is checked and you can show them the related calculations and safety stuff?

Sjoerd said:
Isn't there some procedure for 1-vehicle allowal of parts if it is checked and you can show them the related calculations and safety stuff?

It’s been mooted by warrenpenalver before, but I’ve not researched it properly yet:
warrenpenalver said:
Its covered under the IVA test. You need either manufacturer type approval/certification or for vehicles modified from manufacturers specification, an engineers/converters report that the modifications are fit for purpose as well as the necessary weights for the VIN tag.

In theory it is doable. Finding an engineer to sign off on it is another matter. Im sure someone who knows fiestas could easily compare the structure on the two cars and comment on the pumas suitability. Id imagine you could get away with the same weights used on the fiesta 4/5 and justify it as being based on same floorpan/lower body shell.

plenty of US and non-eu imports have it done.

-B- said:
Sjoerd said:
Isn't there some procedure for 1-vehicle allowal of parts if it is checked and you can show them the related calculations and safety stuff?

It’s been mooted by warrenpenalver before, but I’ve not researched it properly yet:
warrenpenalver said:
Its covered under the IVA test. You need either manufacturer type approval/certification or for vehicles modified from manufacturers specification, an engineers/converters report that the modifications are fit for purpose as well as the necessary weights for the VIN tag.

In theory it is doable. Finding an engineer to sign off on it is another matter. Im sure someone who knows fiestas could easily compare the structure on the two cars and comment on the pumas suitability. Id imagine you could get away with the same weights used on the fiesta 4/5 and justify it as being based on same floorpan/lower body shell.

plenty of US and non-eu imports have it done.

I am quite convinced it is doable. If you provide me with a proper write-up of why you think it is possible I will sign it for you. I am an Automotive Engineer myself, working for DAF/Leyland. I dont have the time to get the report done though so that part is up to you :wink: If it is sound I will just sign it and send it back.

Sjoerd said:
I am quite convinced it is doable. If you provide me with a proper write-up of why you think it is possible I will sign it for you. I am an Automotive Engineer myself, working for DAF/Leyland. I dont have the time to get the report done though so that part is up to you :wink: If it is sound I will just sign it and send it back.
Seriously? But you’re Dutch? I’m sure any inspection would have to be carried out by a VOSA affiliated UK engineer. But I’ll keep your kind offer in mind :wink:

So no one wants to own up to fitting a towbar? :|

I’m looking for heads up, that the tow bar won’t break away from the car. Some towing experience from someone, ideally. To give me confidence enough to go buy a Puma. Anyone? :?

why would you want one anyway you wonna toe some thing buy a jeep or a td estate not a puma

Puma Babe said:
The Puma is not allowed to have a tow bar. So I doubt very much that anyone will own up to having one.
True, but they can pm me, or say ‘I know a friend who tows…’ I started a similar discussion on Pistonheads, and one guy even posted a pic of him towing a 1000kg jet-ski trailer combo with a Mini, complete with number plates in view! :eek: (Mini not allowed to tow either).

LOONEY said:
why would you want one anyway you wonna toe some thing buy a jeep or a td estate not a puma
I don’t tow all the time, just 10-20% of the time, so the other 80-90% of the time I can be driving a Puma, for all the same reasons we all want a Puma. It’s the best compromise for me :wink: Not that you’re going to find a reliable TD estate/Jeep, and buy it and run it, for Puma money.

Well someone has done it before out on the world wide web cos there's an article they made http://www.rejects.co.uk/html/towbar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

red said:
Well someone has done it before out on the world wide web cos there's an article they made http://www.rejects.co.uk/html/towbar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's mighty useful. I might try mailing them too, to ask a few of the questions I’ve asked in this thread. Thanks red :cool:

Back