1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noobrider said:
there was, its bolted in using an original seatbelt mounting bolt and I used an original seat mounting bolt for the front one

Hmm I will look again but I think the black support was bolted in with three M10 bolts in my car.

going for well under 1000kg, yes there is loads more to remove, dash will come out to remove all the gubbings behind it, Bumpers off to remove crash bars etc, lots of lightening holes to be drilled. The Pumesta is down to 896kg so I'm sure I can get pretty close to that, however fibreglass panels will be a while off yet but I fancy an Imtec body kit with fibreglass hatch, front and rear wings etc so that could shave a bit more off.

Yes its early doors, only owned the car for a couple of weeks but got a lot to do.

Full polybush kit sitting on the bench ready to be fitted
another seat and harness to fit
lower strut brace to fit
Dash flocking
cage
coilovers
track tyres
cut off and fire extinguisher
graphics
doors to lighten and panel

a lot of work still to do but as we run a garage we have the equipment its just finding the time. We usually assign Saturdays to our track cars, depending what we have in

There is fiber glass bonnets and boots for sale on eBay form a guy near me but don't know of him but recognize some of the cars he has worked on. My 1000kg is with driver and co driver I think so should be good. I am still at the making space and collecting bits stage so prob won't start on the car till the New year but hopefully will be quite a quick build after that. Been to look at a s1600 rally car for some inspiration and ideas.

Its surprising how quickly things come together when all the bits are sat on the bench...it kinda inspires you to keep working on it.

Our Pumesta has evolved over time so took about 12 oths to get where its at, The MG took about 6 months acquiring parts and trying things out...a very difficult build as we had to try Honda bits to get it somewhere like but the Puma has been blessed with a bigish budget from the sale of the MG so all the main bits were bought before any work started on it.

I ain't got the biggest budget but have been lucky finding bits and bobs at good prices. Getting some good contacts has helped finding parts also.

give me a shout if there is anything you need to find, two sets of eyes are better than one and we may have already sourced it before

Will do mate been buying a few bits and bobs. Looks like I have ended up with 2 braces so will be getting rid of one. Got a few contacts with s1600 parts so just trying to finalize a deal for some bits.

Kizza on here does some stunningly good fibreglass body panels if thats your poison, may be well worth talking to him

Yeah I seen the fibreglass bits and in time I will invest, gotta get the basics together first

Cool project.I was after a 4 branch manifold for mine.Is there that much difference with it fitted.

The four branch makes a massive difference and sounds great too.

Small update today, fitted a new genuine Ford rocker gasket. Past experience says only use a genuine Ford one as any other still tends to leak, use plenty of rubber grease too.

Got some foster care training on this weekend so might not get anything else done until next week.

Well my Miltek back box turned up today so couldn't resist fitting it. Shuts it up nicely, the previous back box was just too loud.

Also got some more square steel tubing back in stock so I can fit the other bucket seat later.

Hopefully get a few more pics this weekend and get a bit more done - been really busy at the garage just lately so not had a lot of time.

small update, fitted seat and harness No2 this evening, more out of necessity than anything as I need the car tomorrow and I have to have a passenger seat.

Another step closer

Looking great - I see the rusty floor looks pretty common, same place too. Appears to rust from cracks in the seam sealer and up into the car.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm hoping to turn mine into a track car at some point but need it as a second family car at present. I've just bought a eBay manifold after your feed back I'll have to get it fitted ASAP!

Nice one redbull, you wont be dissappointed, anyway a few updates today and some photos from previous fitting

Yeah Fiestas and Pumas all seem to rust in the same places, luckily, the seat mounting points were solid on this one as thats another favourite strting point.

2nd seat fitted with harness

pic showing rear strut brace and harness rear point

engine mount polybush and lower strut brace

Miltek back box ebay bargain £65

sat on stilts...desperate for those coilovers...might bite the bullet and buy some new ones

no further progress at the moment but thought I'd report back on the engine rear polybush mount and lower strut.

Not sure what is doing it the strut or te mount but the car feels very solid now. It has a very definate race car feel from the second you turn the key. There is a fair bit of vibration but it feels solid and gear changes and acceleration feels better. Its like your in tune with the car now. Greasy roads and crap tyres means a bit of understeer when you push it but it all feels controlable and very solid. Looking forward to the rest of the polybushes being fitted - hopefully this weekend.
I'm looking at lowering the steering column as I've mounted the bucket seats very low to keep the centre of gravity down as low as possible and the driving position feels a bit out of synch as me eye line is in line with the top of the steering wheel. Just figuring out the best way of doing it.

Latest posts

Back