1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good explanation on how the car feels. I've been trying to think of a way of explaining it myself.

I've poly bushed everything... Rear beam, wishbones, ARB and torque link.
Got front upper & lower strut braces with everything sitting on coilovers.
The car really does feel solid and goes round corners like its on rails. But, cheap tyres does let it down.
I get a lot of torque steer when on heavy acceleration, but maybe because I could do with getting the alignment done.

tyres are everything.. at the end of the day they are the only thing from the car in contact with the ground. Best way forward in this instance are road legal slicks IMO

Yeah I get torque steer now and a fair bit of wheelspin, definately need some decent tyres.

OK big question and I'm so undecided...My last track car pictured below had lots of graphics on it so it looked like a track car...was a great advert for the garage and got invited to lots of shows etc because of how it looked.

So...do I do the same again with lots of racecar style graphics and advertising for the garage or do I keep it subtle and understated besides the green wheels and trim bits?

Would really value some input on this.

Then comes the bigger question...if I was to go all racecar...what should I do?

Any advertising is good advertising! It could get u a few customers to build them track car's as not everyone is mechanically minded.
I would go for the advertising people can then see your product and your work first hand at track days.
Think I have just got my first sponsor on board for the rally car woo hoo.
Keep up the good work

Nice one Mrbushrat, i had a couple of sponsors for my track car, the rally protection company next door to us provided polybushes made to order and a lighting company gave us all LED bulbs...not much but it all counts.

Todays work...due to only having a clutch job in today, was to complete the polybushes front and rear...ball ache of a job on the rears as one side did not want to part company with its axle bush but all in except the D bushes on the anti roll bar.

Hello, good build! Quick question, is there any particular resson you mounted the rear of you harnesses up on the top rear mounts? I mounted mine in the lower ones where the bottom bench bolted but beginning to think its wrong as I've see another mounted like yours but none how I've mounted mine?

Noobrider said:
OK big question and I'm so undecided...My last track car pictured below had lots of graphics on it so it looked like a track car...was a great advert for the garage and got invited to lots of shows etc because of how it looked.

So...do I do the same again with lots of racecar style graphics and advertising for the garage or do I keep it subtle and understated besides the green wheels and trim bits?

Would really value some input on this.

Then comes the bigger question...if I was to go all racecar...what should I do?

If it's primarily a track car mate I'd definitely go with some graphics! No need to go overboard but I think on the track they look great. Mine's got the ford Raylle theme which I love, but I have seen it quite a lot so I have got it in my head to try something a bit different! But like you still deciding what! lol :lol: I haven't got any advertising on mine though, as I don't think anyone would be mad enough to sponser me!!

Like you I do like a bit of black & green though! :grin:

09164b20ac7fc3f341911f57841e3549.jpg

aa223a1933ae49f1319674b0d8b6b61f.jpg

ps & orange!!

Beautiful car BigAl, I can only hope mine turns out as good as yours. Read the build thread start to finish. Being a garage owner I can sponsor myself lol...its a tax wright off, but the ZS was a big car compared to the little Puma and it could look a little too busy without some careful planning. I might take some inspiration from yours and where your white bits are put green....

First port of call is a Green sunstrip with the garage web address...standard for all my cars. I do like your door number style. Like you, if its a track car I like it to look like a track car and I did like the attention the ZS got and would like to replicate that. My other side though is telling me...make it look like a race car and people will expect it to perform like one and I get a lot of enjoyment out of surprising people with the performance of something they didn't expect.

Shane'o'mac.. you need to have the rear straps at a shallow angle to avoid snapping on edges and to perform properly in the event of a crash. Providing the angle is no more than 20 or 30 degrees its fine. One of the main considerations for most 3 point harnesses though is the length of the rear strap, generally it needs to be quite a distance away or you lose the tightening ability on the shoulder straps

Todays little job was removing the rear wiper and putting a bung in the hole - temporary solution for now as there was a bit of rust round the hole the needs treating, will do it when I tackle the arches so i can repaint everything at the same time.

We also took on the job of replacing all of the brake pipes on the Pumesta. We have ditched the ABS pump and run all the brake pipes inside the car with a brake bias valve to control the front to rear braking. This is a bit of a practice run for the Puma as one of the next jobs to do. Also need to look at removing the aircon system, might take that on this Saturday if business and time allows.

very small update...had a spare half hour at the garage today so drilled some holes in the bumper....that is all

Looking Pretty Good! Cant wait to see it on coilovers to sit more low a bit :grin:

bigal....door numbers, really likew your any idea where I could get them from?

Noobrider said:
bigal....door numbers, really likew your any idea where I could get them from?

Hello mate

Not sure where mine are from but most graphics places will make you up a set or you can order them of eBay for about £25! :grin:

yeah I had door numbers on the MG but they were just white squares, I wanted some with the graphic at the top, thought they may have been a stock order set up, but as you say could find something through ebay, thanks anyways.

well if everything goes to plan coilovers should be here mid to late January with some Federal RSR's to follow in Feb. Track day is planned at Oulton Park for the 15th March for its initial shakedown. After that I will be looking for a little van so that I can take the Puma off the road to concentrate on sorting all the bodywork (arches) and powder coating much of the suspension.

In the meantime, I have bought all the gear to relocate the battery to the boot and remove the ABS system to allow a brake balance valve to be fitted and repipe the car with all lines running inside. We have just done this on the Pumesta, not only does it look great it balances the car a lot better and prevents a rear wheel lock up under heavy braking.

I'll post some pictures of the Pumesta setup tomorrow.

Planning some graphics at some stage but its already feeling like I'm running out of time faster than I can plan things

This is the set up we have in the Pumesta and what I am planning for the black Puma

Battery relocated to the boot

Brake pipes run inside the car

Brake bias valve fitted - ABS removed

Latest posts

Back