1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the garage has been incredibly busy for the last two weeks so haven't had chance to work on the track Puma until today.

decided to takle the rear arches and got a bit more than I bargained for.
After a quick rub down this is what was under those paint bubbles

Upon removing the wheel arch carpets this scary site greeted me

some welding required....

and finally a gratuitous garage shot

We also acquired an x reg Fiesta for £60 that I will rob for a few bits like back axle etc to powder coat up without having the Puma on a ramp for ages, that way I can renovate a few parts and then just bolt them on

so finished off the arches today, pretty pleased with the results to say we are not bodyshop or painter trained

just final rub down and buff to do but I also need to buff the whole of the car as these two panels will be way shinier than the rest of the car.

All buffed and polished rust free arches painted and blended in panther black metalic, very pleased with the results from a couple of amateurs

thans Glenn, we've never sprayed a metalic before only some solid blacks and reds. We don't do bodywork as a garage as we are not trained but we have a go on our own cars and for friends who ask. You can spot a bit of a ripple on the arches at a certain angle but its minimal and for a track car I'm not too bothered.

We were pleased with the results, more so because of the blending and colour matching....there are 16 shades of Panther Black according to the paint shop.

What I haven't shown is the three previous attemps on the drivers arch as the paint kept reacting, had to rub down and start again each time.

Good work so far.. deffo need to get some graphics on there though 8)

Mine's got the Ford rallye sport graphics too

IMG_3160_zpse5d9818b.jpg

IMG_3159_zps86700b3f.jpg

yes Sparx, graphics are definately high on the agenda, but really need some coilovers first. Will be keeping the green theme, got some ideas for something a little different but motorsport orientated, also advertising the garage.

1st Trackday is 15th March at Oulton Park, all booked and paid for.

OK some...not all, graphics bought, coilovers bought, battery relocation kit bought, brake pipes bought...just need to find time to fit it all.

On another point, had a rolling road test today, seems like the lack of lambdas is causing it to overfuel - pulled 118Bhp, not too bad considering 146000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ifwdX40LU&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coilovers arrived today, all nice new shiney bits....will be fitting on Saturday, Saturday has been cleared of all jobs to work on the track cars only.....watch out for a picture update...should get loads done

Coilovers fitted today, makes a big difference and car is very settled with basic settings. Need to get it on the computer alignment machine and set it up perfectly

and one for comparison of the before look

Wheels are Team Dynamics from a Peugeot 206, powder coated Kawasaki green. They have an 18mm offset so no need to use spacers and sit nicely under the arches.

Seeing as the weather appears to quite good today, I'll attempt to fit the graphics this afternoon.

Just read through your project thread. Looking great so far. Bet you can't wait to get on track and test it!
I just wanted to echo what someone else said above about tyres, semi-slicks work brilliantly for track days and make it a different car! Bit of a write up on my project thread.
Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.

Thanks Scott, I've opted for some Toyo Proxies TR1's for the time being, cost option as first trackday is Oulton Park on 15th March.

This Saturday, I fitted new discs and pads (Mintex) and new rear shoues with a good clean up of all the braking system.

I'm just waiting for the last of the graphics pack to arrive and next weekend I will be doing the last little bits of welding and repiping all the brake lines and of course fitting the tyres. If I get chance, I'll also relocate the battery to the boot with a cut out switch.

Latest posts

Back