Car's running very rough!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3boro

Got back from Italy like an hour ago, started car with it having been sat there for a week-everything fine but fuel light came on as I started it (no problem as I was expecting it to do so v soon)
Literally 2 miles down the road all power goes from the car, engine wanring light comes on and flashes. I pull over restart it and it starts but sounds like a diesel go-kart, really rough and slow as hell. The exhaust is popping a bit on the overrun (standard exhaust) and the engine block is moving a lot on just tickover.

Please help! Not the return from holiday I wanted! :(

edit- Put bit of petrol in and fuel light went off, but engine warning light is still on.

I'm guessing it's the coil pack - I've had them go on two different cars, the symptoms sound the same.

Neil said:
I'm guessing it's the coil pack - I've had them go on two different cars, the symptoms sound the same.

I was wondering that. theres a really strong smell of (hard to describe) but like burning from the exhaust, which gets into the cabin. Tried cleaning MAF sensor and reconnecting it-no joy. Gonna get it into a garage and have it checked out.

Right I'm gonna just buy a replacement new coil pack and see if that solves it. All the info I'm getting on my problem seems to point to that. If it doesn't solve it, then it'll just be a spare part I have for when it does go lol.

Sorry Chris - not been online today as been out.

Sounds like it went into "limp home" mode. As Neil says, most probably the coil pack.

Dal said:
Sorry Chris - not been online today as been out.

Sounds like it went into "limp home" mode. As Neil says, most probably the coil pack.

Hey Dal, yeh I'll order a new coil pack tomorrow. Found a cheapish one that matches current one in terms of part no. so will see if that does the job!

http://www.camshaftsensors.co.uk/search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 88F12029AC

Says it'll fit the 1.6 and part number matches that which is currently on it. Seem ok?

Or this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEN-FORD-COIL-PAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... m153.l1262

Anyone? thanks

It sounds it's not firing on all cylinders, so you are in the right sirection with the coil pack but don't rule out plug leads or spark plugs.

It' been lying about for a (rather wet) week so is it possible damp has got in somewhere and is causing the problem?

Jasper said:
It sounds it's not firing on all cylinders, so you are in the right sirection with the coil pack but don't rule out plug leads or spark plugs.

It' been lying about for a (rather wet) week so is it possible damp has got in somewhere and is causing the problem?

Its possible but not visible when looking under the bonnet. I think I'll try the coil pack first .

Mine sounded rough as hell after being sat there for a week, though it was just coughing a bit and settled down after about 10 seconds.

Not as bad as that. If your replacing the coil pack, you might as well do the spark plugs and the leads while your at it.

took coil pack out just now, cleaned it and fitted it again-not really any better. Gonna drop by Ford tomorrow and pick one up if possible.

SLight crack on current one:

25082008606.jpg

The problem?

Pretty certain it will be the coil pack as mine was sat for a little while a few months back during torrential rain and it matched the symptoms you mentioned above.

Damp has probably got in somewhere too so roll on some dryness! :)

Morning mate. Coil pack can probably range from £20-£100 I haven't replaced one on my Puma but the Renault was quite pricey at over £100 when that needed replacing.

The motorcraft one from the eBay ad is probably the one that was in there originally. motorcraft are a pretty reputable part company.

Or you can get a fancy, sporty one from pumaspeed. Couple it with some good spark plugs and leads and you will have a better spark, more power and better economy :eek:k:

Morning all.

Rang ford and they wanted £100! Got one online for £38 all in, should be here tomorrow. Just hope that's the problem! I miss my puma!

Latest posts

Back