Car's running very rough!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have said mate - i have a spare one in my garage you could have tried! :)

When mine went on my Thunder i was in the middle of nowhere so theAA came out, diagnosed the problem, replaced it and cleared the error for £79 which i didnt think was too bad at the time.

He used a motorcraft part too, what a nice chap he was. :D

RED IMPACT said:
You should have said mate - i have a spare one in my garage you could have tried! :)

When mine went on my Thunder i was in the middle of nowhere so theAA came out, diagnosed the problem, replaced it and cleared the error for £79 which i didnt think was too bad at the time.

He used a motorcraft part too, what a nice chap he was. :D

lol typical! Nevermind mate, thanks anyway. Yeh should be here tomorrow so I'm praying it'll solve the problem.

If your fuel was showing almost empty, you've probably sucked some crud through the fuel system.

Possibly worth trying... a full tank of "good" petrol (I personally stay away from supermarket fuel, but let's not open a can of worms just yet, lol)... then some fuel injection cleaner into that, run it for a while to try and clear it.

If that fails, I'm going to call it as a dead HEGO / Lambda sensor, but without you hooking the car up to an OBD-II device or a ford diagnostic tool, there's no way of telling 100% accurately what is wrong with it.

You've spent money on a new coil when you should've spent £40 or so getting it on your local ford dealer's diagnostic machine to find out for certain. Don't buy any more parts until you know you definitely need them.

PumaKa said:
If your fuel was showing almost empty, you've probably sucked some crud through the fuel system.

Possibly worth trying... a full tank of "good" petrol (I personally stay away from supermarket fuel, but let's not open a can of worms just yet, lol)... then some fuel injection cleaner into that, run it for a while to try and clear it.

If that fails, I'm going to call it as a dead HEGO / Lambda sensor, but without you hooking the car up to an OBD-II device or a ford diagnostic tool, there's no way of telling 100% accurately what is wrong with it.

You've spent money on a new coil when you should've spent £40 or so getting it on your local ford dealer's diagnostic machine to find out for certain. Don't buy any more parts until you know you definitely need them.

The fuel light had only been on for literally 1 mile before the light came on. Going into a garage tomorrow anyway, sick of messing about with it!

Also ask them for the code numbers from the diagnostic machine, they should be in the format of one letter and four digits, eg: P1364 = Ignition Coil Primary circuit fault

They should give you the fault codes, after all, you're paying for it.

Reference link: http://www.scangauge.net/DTC/Ford.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ooo that's a hot link awesome! :D

oh and I hope you get it straightened out Chris!

Thanks for the link PumaKa, I'm determined for it to get sorted asap. Not having it running right is annoying enough but not knowing why is even more frustrating!

Right the latest....Guy has had a quick look at it and thinks it could be the ECU. They'll have another look on Monday and we'll go from there!

chris3boro said:
Guy has had a quick look at it and thinks it could be the ECU

Hmmmm. Be careful mate. As Lando once said "I have a bad feeling about this"... I'm guessing he's gonna try and say you need a new ECU?

An ECU isn't a wear-and-tear part, so just a simple "soft reset" will clear it back to factory settings and flush out any ECU "fault codes", you do this by simply disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes.

Yes that will reset the ECU, but you haven't solved any mechanical or electrical problem that caused the management light to come on in the first place. It's a bit like sweeping dust under the carpet. The problem will still be there.

Yeh he said, if that IS the problem, it might be possible to reset it. If it is the ECU, would that not put the warning light on? :?

The ECU is just the car's brain, all the parts on the car report any problems to the ECU.

An ECU is very unlikely to fail by itself, if it does fail then it dies completely and you have a dead car with nothing working on it. This can happen through extreme vibration or shock, or moisture. It's just a computer at the end of the day, with no moving parts to wear out.

The engine management light comes on when the ECU receives a fault signal from a part on the car, usually a sensor of some sort.

It's fixed and back home! :) The ECU was faulty so needed fixing. Absolutely fine now fingers crossed :) So filthy though, just wish it was nicer weather to clean it.

ECU was faulty? :shock: Did they say what was wrong with it and what caused it?

Good to hear it's all fixed now though.

Dal said:
ECU was faulty? :shock: Did they say what was wrong with it and what caused it?

Good to hear it's all fixed now though.

no, think they did a diagnostic check and checked all sensors etc first before coming to that conclusion. The ECU came back this afternoon having been fixed and they fitted it and was absolutely fine. Weird.

Maybe it got some water damage or something? Very unusual for an ECU to just 'go wrong'

As long as it's running like a kitten again, then that's good. :D

Latest posts

Back