Car's running very rough!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh I know it's rare but I have no reason to doubt them-family has used them for years and always been good.Anyway it's healthy now so it;s all good!

Should be sealed against that kind of thing you would hope. So long is all is well. Maybe it got hit by lightening, ive heard it happen before. The car remains mostly undamaged thanks to it being earthed but the computer can get fried.

The ECU is inside the car, underneath the centre console. You should be able to see it if you look under where your ashtray is. It'll look like like a matt silver rectangular box. So unless you've got a mjor leak in your car, I doubt it would be water damage.

Just had a quick google and found this:
One cause for ECU failure is due to excessively high stray high voltage levels within the engine compartment or by unusual signals being seen by the ECU`s sensor inputs. If this situation occurs, then it is strongly recommended to replace the high voltage system with new genuine parts (i.e spark plug leads, distributor cap, rotor, coil) and the main engine to body and battery grounds are renewed before fitting a replacement engine management ECU.

DradusContact said:
The car remains mostly undamaged thanks to it being earthed by the computer can get fried.

It's not earthed, that's why it's safe : like a bird on an electricity pylon line.

(4 rubber tyres kinda help)

sorry, that should of been 'but' the computer can get fried, not 'by'. But you know what i mean, the tyres dissapate the charge.

Hmm some interesting ideas there guys, thanks. The coilpack and spark plugs were changed before it went in so it was treated to those for nothing lol. The idea it was hit by lightning is freaky! I remember Hammond doing a test on this on TG a while back I think...

Latest posts

Back