Door open/Lights on Buzzer

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corley

My Door open/Lights on Buzzer has never worked on my Puma and today i forgot i left my lights on and got a flat battery after 8 hours at work!

My question is where is the buzzer located? I know its not the switch in the door as i have tested this and its fine.

Thanks for any help.

iirc its located in the back of the instrument cluster somewhere, Cherry Vimto might be your man for explaining where :thumbs:

Two different systems depending on the age of the car.

Early ones fuse 42 in the engine bay box.

Late ones, GEM unit which if the fuse for that had gone you also wouldn't have rear fogs. More likely the microswitch in the doors, which is an entirely larger job.

Note there are two switches, the push to make in the slam at the front of the door and the microswitch inside the lock mechanism, I'm talking about the latter.

I'm 99% certain that the buzzer is soldered to the circuit board that controls the central/double locking that's located behind the drivers side fuse box.. It's black box that has about 4 plugs connected to it.

Earlier ones.. the buzzer looks like a white relay that's also behind the same fuse box... has 3 pins on it :thumbs:

This is the one I mean....You can see the buzzer on the right when the external black covers are removed.. (3rd picture down) :thumbs:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3152&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian G said:
Two different systems depending on the age of the car.

Early ones fuse 42 in the engine bay box.

Late ones, GEM unit which if the fuse for that had gone you also wouldn't have rear fogs. More likely the microswitch in the doors, which is an entirely larger job.

Note there are two switches, the push to make in the slam at the front of the door and the microswitch inside the lock mechanism, I'm talking about the latter.

The Puma is a W reg or 2000 plate - does this count as a later model?

I have checked the rear fogs and they work still.

I am limited to what i can do for now as the weather has been shite the last few weeks!

I am kinda stuck now as i wouldn't know how to check the buzzer on the PCB board or what/where the extra relay switch inside the door looks like - any hints?

Change-over is January 99 so yes, yours is probably later.

I'd probably suspect the switch before the GEM unit, the former being easier to diagnose.

If you take the door card off you will be able to get to the connector for the switch. Probably some pics already of this procedure or I can take some if you're stuck.

I took the door card off today and found 2 sects of wires, one set is near the speaker/electric window buttons, the other set is close to the door lock mechannisim. I could see the connector block then the sevweral wires went into the door/are harder to see. Is this the set near the lock mechanism that i should be looking at to see a second micro switch?

I didn't relaise the Puma had a buzzer, ours is a 1.4 T reg and wifey has killed the battery 3 times in the last year leaving the candles in jam jars on!
So I look for a blown fuse then eh?

corley said:
Is this the set near the lock mechanism that i should be looking at to see a second micro switch?

Yes although you won't see the microswitch, to give you an idea, look how much wire it comes with - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-door-latch-micro-switch-94FG-14018-AC-/181286700328?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item2a35878528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok quick update i diconnected the micro switch inside the door and the buzzer started bleeping even when the door was shut which suggests the GEM unit is good aits th ermicro switch which is at fault.

2wfkaa9.jpg

I traced the micro switch into the door as shown below and it seems to be inside a black box located behbnd the door latch mechanism - is this correct?

14b1e9c.jpg

if the micro switch is inside the black box i need to remove the 3 screws on the outside of the doors?
If i do this will the latch or mechnism fall apart - what should i look for?

Back