FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saturday shouldnt be a problem but it will have to be after 6 at night as im at work all day..

sunday is better for me but if u can make it sat evening i have no problem with that.

yeah y not lol... i cant do owt to mine for a year or so as i will be looking for a house soon lol... just wanna get it looking bad boy and im nearly there

I got a reply from HiSpec today, with prices as follows:

THE ROTORS ARE PLAIN £80.80 EACH
BELLS SILVER ANODISED ARE £88.30 EACH
BOLT PACK IS £12.50
MINTEX PADS 1155 ARE £104.83
+ DELIVERY & VAT

That is £546.64 plus delivery, so probarbly around £570 all in all. Then there's pistons & other bits & bobs so I'd be looking at £600 plus, so for now I'll be sticking with the Brembo set up. I've got all I need for them to work, so I'll look at getting something lighter once the build is complete.

prices have gone up a bit since i last bought some discs :-(
shame im away this weekend cos youd be driving past me to see tye!!!

Maybe its because i didnt ask for the guy you reccomended, i just sent them an email enquiry, you cn normally get things a bit cheaper when you speak to the right person! It has been a while since you brought yours so maybe with the VAT increase and inflation its just gone up.

I could have dropped them bits off too, what could possibly be more important then meeting me and tye? I think you need to get your priorities in order mate!!! :grin:

jacko said:
lol :-D

house / job hunting and seeing the missus!

House = somewhere to park your cars
Job = So you can pay for your cars
Missus = ????

Im struggling to justify the last one!!! :D

Im sure there will be other times now i know your just up the rd!!

HAHAHAHAHAH

ROFPMSL!!!!!

yep, let me know when your passing

im passing warren on fri so dropping a few bits off and talking carbon & 4wd for a bit :)

warrenpenalver said:
PumaNoob said:
House = somewhere to park your cars
Job = So you can pay for your cars
Missus = ????

Im struggling to justify the last one!!! :D
oh come on, use your imagination! :roll: :wink:

I was going to say something about cleaning the car, but i thought that might be a bit low, not only would i get hate male from the female puma owners, but i might go outside to find my girlfriend has "altered" my cars apperance slightly!!
I dont mean to cause offence to anyone, im just having a laugh! :p

I was going to say that exact thing. I still will as I'm not afraid! :twisted:

Missus = to clean car - after she's cleaned the house, my clothes and me, and cooked my dinner.

What else are they for???

....and yes, I am single....any wonder....lol ;)

yippeekiay said:
I was going to say that exact thing. I still will as I'm not afraid! :twisted:

Missus = to clean car - after she's cleaned the house, my clothes and me, and cooked my dinner.

What else are they for???

....and yes, I am single....any wonder....lol ;)

Looool!!! You dont give a f**K do you!!!

I know i shouldnt, but that put the biggest smile on my face, the highlight of my day!!

Glad to bring a bit of cheer into your life...lol. :eek:k:

And no, I don't give a fook, a rats arse or any other term for not giving a shit....lol

Age, experience and a careless & carefree attitude to life allows you that privelage.

Not forgetting a good sense of humour, in which my comments should taken with too ;)

lol

my missus made me a calender for christmas, very tasteful but you get the idea :) shes promised to wash my car in a bikini for next years ;-)

Now that's a woman worth keeping hold of, she makes you "tasteful" calenders, she's going to wash your car in her bikini, but most importantly, she puts up with you spending half your time with your cars!! Definately worth taking time out to spend some quality time with! With the time you must spend on your cars, most blokes would be getting constant ear ache! You've got something sussed there mate.

I've got my engine out now, so I'll add pics tommorow. Looks like a big old lump, but I'm sure I can get it to fit!!

itl fit....lull the engine bay ito a false sense of security then take a run up!!!

yep, shes a keeper...getting married this summer!

when im doing car stuff she sits with me (if its warm enough!), reads a book and passes me tools :)

Ok, so here are some pics of the engine, fresh out of the car!! Ill be stripping it and rebuilding it over the next few days/weeks. Ill be going forged internals, ARP bolts everywhere, and all new seals and bearings, so hopefully will be able to take alot more power then im going to get out of it!

PICT0265.jpg

PICT0263.jpg

PICT0266.jpg

And here it is stripped of all ancillaries

PICT0267.jpg

This perticular engine is from a Mondeo, So there will need to be a few changes made. Im getting a ford Ranger oil filter housing, so i can fit an oil cooler, as this one wont allow it. Also need to change the thermostat and housing, the Mondeo thermostat is controlled by the ECU, so the ST150/ford Fusion/New transit thermostat will replace it. The thermostat is incorporated into the housing, so the whole thing needs to be changed.

The Mondeo also comes with a dual mass flywheel, so that will be going, and swapped out for a focus/fiesta st solid flywheel. The flywheel is also 5 mm bigger then the ST150 fly, so the started motor needs to be swapped out for an ST150 starter, or 2.5mm machining off, ill just go for the ST starter as its simpler.

The other advantage of the Mondeo engine is the throttle body works the same as the Puma throttle, so it should be a straight swap over. The ST throttle body is a 'fly by wire throttle, so the throttle cable off a puma wont fit it.

The other thing ill need to sort out is a fuel return line, None of the Duratec engined cars use a fuel return, the fuel is regulated by the ECU, so ill just get an ST150 fuel rail and modify it to work with the Puma fuel system.

Im waiting for quite a few bits for my build, so thought id do my gearbox while waiting. Im using the IB5plus box from the Fiesta ST, and the speedo drive from and gear from a puma/fiesta box, and a 5th gear set from a 1.4 fiesta/puma gearbox, as its taller and better for cruising (cheers Tye) :thumbs: ! And a big thanks to Jacko, your guide was a big help mate.

Trying to get the speedo drive out of the puma box was impossible!!! Tried pulling the the drive holding pin out, and it snapped, so tried drilling it out with cobalt drill bit, but after 2 hours of drilling and head scratching, this was the result!!!

PICT0340.jpg

Here is the drive when i finally got it out!

PICT0351.jpg

The puma box with the 5th syncro taken out

PICT0327.jpg

The Fiesta ST box showing 5th gear
PICT0332.jpg

Slightly different to the puma box, and the 5th gear housing is different.

Tried to use a 3 leg gear puller to get 5TH gear off, and it just wouldnt budge, so managed to get hold of a proper ford IB5 fith gear puller, its so easy with the correct tool!! I brought the tool, so if anybody needs to borrow it, give me a shout.

PICT0337.jpg

PICT0349.jpg

Anybody attempting to take a fiesta ST box appart, the process is slightly different to the puma box. The gear selector is on the front, but the middle housing wont come off unless you take the end off the selector. Its a PIG to get off!! I had to heat it for about 15mins to get it to budge, and it was still a struggle!!

The selector is on the left of the pic here

PICT0331.jpg

PICT0353.jpg

And eventually off!!!

PICT0354.jpg

ST box inside is a little different to the puma again

PICT0355.jpg

PICT0356.jpg

ST box has a hole where the speedo drive goes, which makes it alot easier!!

PICT0326.jpg

ST box without Speedo drive.

PICT0357.jpg

And with drive fitted

PICT0360.jpg

I got a Tran-X LSD to fit to the box.

PICT0361.jpg

But its 5mm bigger then the standard diff, so im going to have to get it machined down, about 1mm off the diameter.

Here are 2 pics of the diameter of the 5th gear on both boxes. First the ST 5th gear (sorry about the blurred pic)

PICT0335.jpg

And the 1.4 5th gear.

PICT0336.jpg

Around a 4mm bigger gear in the fiesta, so revs should be considerably lower at motorway & cruising speed.

Wow thanks, I did think to work it out, but then I just couldn't be asked!! I think it might be more then 5% though, because you've taken into account the reduction in the gear, but then you also have to take into account the increase in the gear it turns. Then you'd need to calculate from the centreline of interconnecting cogs. But then alot of the time, when using a percentage rather then a figure, you don't need to doo all that. I'll see if your on the money with 5% when I can be asked to work out circumferences of each gear and what the full rotation legnth is!! Your probarbly smack on,!!

Back