Grumbles, moans and rants

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read my grandson's high school report yesterday. The only section that was anywhere near grammatically correct was English Language and Literature .....

Unfortunately not all of us receive the same education, and not all of us have the same due care and understanding for people with disabilities such as Dyslexia.

Puma will be off the road til next week at least because am too broke to buy parts until payday. :(

Yog wrote
Why do some people writing on a website have to use bad grammar and misspell words? Have they had such a poor education, that this is normal for them?
I don't include in this, people who's first language is not English!

Sorry Yog but not only do you not need the comma after education but the last sentence should probably read "I don't include people whose first language is not English" no need for the extra words.

But yes I agree with you :grin:

BTW I never took the English exam at School so will probably be corrected :grin:

"I don't include in this" - Is a referral to the previous statement. The "," after education, is introducing a "pause" in the sentence. Either way is probably correct, although "Scottish" English probably varies slightly from "English" English! :wink:

BenF will probably be along later to give a definitive answer.

for grammatical accuracy I think that (in Yog's version) neither comma is necessary, but I agree that their insertion helps the reader understand his meaning more easily and as such would probably be acceptable

I think the who's/whose issue has already been addressed

as for zinc's offering, I think you will find that it should read 'Sorry Yog, but not only do you not need the comma after education, but also the last sentence should probably read "I don't include people whose first language is not English", ie there is no need for the extra words.'

but hey, what do I know? I don't even start new paragraphs on my posts with capital letters!

I am sure that others will have their own opinions - where's Vix when you need her?!

See, I, told you I would, be corrected so corrected, I stand, except I don't because as I am semi-retired, I shall sit :grin:

it's ok - I will have a fight with anyone!

maybe there should have been no apostrophe there? (Or maybe it is in the wrong place...?)

I don't believe my input is needed, but here is my offering:

Commas are often a stylistic issue, and their presence is not 'correct' or 'incorrect', but I agree with Yog and Ben that in this case they help guide the reader.

I would write ie 'i.e.'.

I also agree completely re the re-ordering of the words in the sentence about people whose first language is not English.

Happy? :p

(now I am wondering about 're' versus 're.'!)

crystalpuma said:
I also agree completely re the re-ordering of the words in the sentence about people whose first language is not English.
Sew basikally oi can tok wotever weigh oi wunt??

oh-no-not-this-shit-again.jpg

zinc2000 said:
See, I, told you I would, be corrected so corrected, I stand, except I don't because as I am semi-retired, I shall sit :grin:

I am a fully retired pensioner, and therefore I shall sit all the time, or should that be sh*t all the time!
Should there be a "," before the "and", I think that it is correct grammer not to have one? Over to you BenF/crystalpuma.

YOG said:
I am a fully retired pensioner, and therefore I shall sit all the time, or should that be sh*t all the time!
Should there be a "," before the "and", I think that it is correct grammer not to have one? Over to you BenF/crystalpuma.

you tease, Yog!

maybe correct grammar, but certainly not the correct spelling!

Latest posts

Back