Heat proofing steering column shroud?????

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

Lads just had the puma on the dyno yesterday and destroyed the steering column shroud...I know i should of heat wrapped the exhaust manifold before I installed it...
Well question is: is there a way I can protect the plastic shroud in case I need to put it on the rollers again...
I dont fancy pulling off the manifold to wrap it..

Cheers

gingerdave said:
[post]347320[/post] Surely it would be better to tackle the source of the problem???
Of course it would but but thats not the question....

Agree with Dave there, it's not always about cure, better to prevent. In this case it'll be heat wrapping the manifold, ceramic coating it or both!

Doesn't sound healthy to be melting steering column shroud - I'm guessing it's a 421 manifold, is it shaped differently to others that make it closer to the shroud?

moondustka said:
[post]347344[/post] However, you could try using thermotec self adhesive reflective tape.
I know its only a quick fix but my friend with the car lift is just out of hospital and I dont want to be bothering him for the lift to pull out the manifold and wrap it at this point in time...

Thanks

Mine is covered in this - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/design-engineering-reflect-a-gold - full seasons racing and two rolling road sessions and still good as new.

That will also do the trick. The Thermotec stuff is slightly thicker, it has a fibreglass weave under the reflective part, then the adhesive, which is pretty good.

My racecar plastic steering cover has coped perfectly well for 2 seasons with just some aluminium tape from Wickes :)

Back