Jacko's Rallyesport Replica

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

A few people have said it would be nice to see what i have been up to, so thought id do a build thread. Theres a hell of a lot to put in so I will split it into a few sections and fill them in as time allows

Just to be completely clear; this car has been to a garage twice in 7 years, once for PB to break a lot of things and once to a race engineer to check wiring / timing after a massive rebuild. It is completely my own work.

Body / Chassis

Body is a Genuine Racing Puma but has been rebuilt at some point and carries a 98 cat d reg, effectively only the dash, mirror covers and wiring loom are 98 tho....bit weird but hey!

I started the Rallye Replica theme a few years ago as a minor bump cracked the front bumper and the car had a lot of stone chips. After a lot of research and talking to Chris Birkbeck racing (they ran the Ford Puma Rally team) I matched the colour, resprayed the front end and bought genuine ford livery. Paint is a never ending problem with a project car, esp on rear arches so shes going to be getting carbon rear arches, plastic windows and a rear respray fairly soon.

Front bumper has been modified to not use the rusty grill and has had the reg plate moved a tiny bit higher. Genuine s1600 carbon splitter but plywood has been removed, now has foam core and second carbon layer. Side meshes are titanium.

Mud flaps are flexible carbon fibre sheet

Carbon bonnet with custom made aluminium hinges and prop plus gold heat reflecting film (emergency blanket!) and locking aero catches (normal bonnet lock removed). Hoses for washer jets are hiden inside the bonnet.

Real carbon fibre number plates

underside is IMMACULATE, heatshields replaced with motorsport reflective film, engine bay has been sprayed with heatproof matt black

Genuine f2 spoiler with lacquered supports machined to correct angle so spoiler sits vertical, boot is reinforced with aluminium and F1 carbon struts (ready for carbon bootlid). Bootlid is a slightly different colour (?!) and has some peeling lacquer so I can't wait to get a carbon one!

Door catches are chrome (yeah i know its chavvy but looks nicer than rust!)

98 rear lights (black, not grey) mostly led lights, front lights are mounted with rivnuts and ali bolts as i hate anything that rusts! Almost every nut and bolt is stainless with zinc washers to battle corrosion. locking bar on fronts removed, auto height adjusters also fixed

Sunstrip and modified wiper arms that are puma bottoms, focus tops, the length has been tweeked to allow massive modern aero blades but without them fouling the sunstrip. Focus wipers also sit lower so you can barely see them when driving!

Wing mirrors have been rebuilt using aluminium frames instead of the plastic ones!

Interior; Genuine FRP, no underlay and trimmed rear speaker bins to save weight, odd mark etc here and there but regarded as in very good condition. Steering wheel is Sparco and showing age so im thinking of getting a blue one, extra holes drilled for more switches. 98 wiring loom and clocks. SPA digital speedo (due to larger wheels). 2 fire extinguishers fitted (one on each seat). Most fittings are converted to red led lights. Oem ford cd player. Gear knob has been polished with blue and red lettering. Prototype ‘Racing’ badge and blue ‘Puma’ badge on centre console, both VERY RARE! Sparco pedal covers and clutch rest (machined surface and imperial blue lettering). FRP mats with clips. 98 dash, no airbags. Ford silver handbrake

Clifford alarm, works but currently not perfect! Siren unplugged, system keeps draining battery! It’s an expensive one, auto start etc so its going to keep going back til its perfect!!

Future plans include carbon rear quarters, roof, boot, doors, bumpers and maybe front wings.

3rd Engine; cylinder head rebuilt, flowed, 3 angle valve seats (good for 170bhp), block was checked professionally and only needed piston rings. serviced injectors, new o2, maf, coil, leads, sparks etc but currently tracing a tiny oil leak and tweeking the timing.

Aircon removed, Powersteering relocated on lighter mounts, alloy radiator, oil cooler (not plumbed in yet!), kenlowe fan

Custom cold air feed in carbon fibre, carbon fibre inserts inside airbox to 'flow' it, k&n panel filter, flowed maf and flowed, bigger throttle body. Inlet manifold is flowed and port matched to cylinder head, exhaust manifold has also been port matched.

Braided fuel lines, fiesta vacuum hose (fits better!), smaller battery box, Odyyssey Gel battery, real carbon cover. VibraTechnics mounts all round

FRP ecu, cams, inlet (no number!), heat wrapped piper frp manifold with stainless fixing brackets, milltek system and sports cat, tailpipe modified to look like frp

focus 220mm clutch (has a much larger surface area than the puma 210 due to a smaller ID)

Gearbox is genuine FRP WITH QUAIFE DIFF, good condition but 2nd gear synchro is showing a little wear if really rushed. Linkage has been rebuilt / modified with a stainless universal joint; gear change is now as solid as any supercar! rebuilt with stainless bolts and tighter driveshaft seals. Driveshafts and joints are nearly all new, one joint is starting to grumble a little. All wheel bearings are new.

Suspension and steering are all genuine FRP including track rod ends with travel limiters, everything is polybushed, fronts have blue 909 ford rally solid mounts (ready for coilovers)

Brakes are genuine Alcon callipers, powder coated, rebuilt every year, mintex pads (will be going back to ferrodo asap...usually not a problem but these buggers will not stop squeeling!!!), also have stainless bridge pipes. HiSpec rotors & ali bells with stainless nuts to stop corrosion for next change of rotors, front lines are FULL stainless rebuild able, rears are braided with steel fittings. Rear brakes are 280mm RS focus. New handbrake cable. ABS has been removed. Want to upgrade to alloy rear calipers and bigger front discs eventually

Wheels are Compomotive 18inch MO et15 (rally offset to fill the arches properly), 2 are powder coated, 2 are due to go, wheel centres are custom machined ali painted imperial blue with oem ford inserts (one missing, need to machine one up asap). Water bottle and air filter box have been trimmed lightly to allow use of 18s. Avon zz3 tyres. Richbrook alloy nuts and alloy locking nuts (2 per wheel!)

Spares

I have a massive folder with full ’service history’ log of every modification / service etc and receipts / instructions. CD’s with workshop manuals, Tickford build pics etc etc. Ford Brochures etc, motorsport catalogues, guides from magazines etc. S1400 and s1600 build manuals.
Special tools including frp timing bar etc and 5th gear puller, modified Haynes manual with all my contacts and secrets in. Guides that i sell including 'Wing mirror Fix' and 'FRP Brake Guide'

Also have an imperial blue genuine ford roof rack

Other parts include a spare Carbon bonnet, front and rear bumpers, ali wings (NEW), headlights, wing mirrors, grills, rallyesport stickers, short engine, clutch, starter, alternator, variable cam parts, various engine and trim parts. A spare FRP front seat (frame slightly twisted) mounted on a swivel base in my office at work!

I have also made a 1/43 model of my car (before repainting so it needs updating!) using a Jempy s1600 kit and 3 minichamp puma kits and a Corrola kit to get all the correct parts! details include correct numberplates, floor mats etc!

4x4 Conversion

I have acquired a spare puma chassis and running gear from an RS2000 4X4 including gearbox, spare diff, transfer box, driveshafts and propshaft, rear diff, rear ali suspension cradle and parts

this will take 3 conversions;
Rear independent suspension with mods to exhaust and fuel filler and rear brakes
Gearbox with cable shift
transfer box, shafts, rear diff, modify exhaust, petrol tank, fuel lines etc

At the moment i have trimmed the rear cradle, sorted the mountings and geometry
Next i need to 'FRP' the hub carriers to remove some camber, machine some ali links and add rose joints. then buy a few more coilovers....

all the bits you need

test rig

Oh, and im wanting a v6 engine....eventually!! (if i dont buy an aston v8 vantage!)

Sounds awesome Paul! I think I speak for everyone on the forum... PICTURES!!

Alex

not that iv noticed....just stops the heat soaking into the carbon. in theory it stops the bonnet storing heat and radiating it back cos it just radiates it straigh back!

First mini feature in a magazine...

is also in the Tickford owners club magazine and been to loads of shows

Mid rebuild....

Carbon fibre number plates (have since rounded the corners and mounted rivnuts in the bumpers, plates are attached using blue and black m3 ali bolts

Latest posts

Back