Knock knock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

This morning while idling on the drive i heard a quiet 'thud' and another a few seconds later. It seemed to repeat about every 5 seconds. Ive already had the 'heartbeat' noise of the HCV going, which i replaced last year. So it shouldnt be that. Any ideas?

Odd. Can you tell when it's coming from? Front of the engine? To one side? Does it do it cold and when warmed up?

Sounded like in front of me. Once i was warmed up (waiting in the massive que for the runcorn bridge of course) i turned the radio off and i couldnt hear it.

As a first step, I'd check your oil level (and condition - if it's too 'gloopy' then maybe the oil pump is struggling when it's cold?) and your coolant levels as they are very heat dependant.

Long shot - but it's not your ABS self test on the way out and continually testing when cold?

Never thought of gloopy oil. Might be time to get it done. Was lst done last november i think. Ive got two coolant pipes that are in quite bad condition and are dripping a bit, ive been meaning to replace them for ages but havent got round to going up to buy them. Dont think it was ABS test, it wasnt that noise.

Maybe your coolant pipes are distorted somehow (if you say they are in bad condition) and have a blockage? That may explain the 5 second interval as pressure builds up, then blasts through the obstruction.

Last november should mean your oil is ok I'd have though - unless you do lots of miles or lots of short journeys.

Average journey is about 5 miles/ 15 minutes or less. I leave it for a few days at a time as i bike to work 4 or 5 times a week so it may sit there for a few days. Ill get them pipes replaced this weekend.

Give the heater knob a twist, see if the speed of the noise changes. What you're describing sounds like the HCV in action.

Latest posts

Back