Oil leak on timing belt side. Leaking plug *Solved*

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xztraz

My puma is pissing territorial marks all over the place.. Engine oil mostly

I've been cleaning the engine with degreaser and brake cleaner. trying to find the oil leak.

I can see dripping under the plastic cover for the crank shaft pulley. :-(
YuH5hRF.jpg

Z1DJ7Y8.jpg

There is a thin line of oil on the cam belt but i don't see any evidence of leaking oil from the cam seals or top cover. Should be oil on the backside of the pulleys then?
CGLDZFV.jpg

tDdYtIa.jpg

Tried to get a snake camera down under the cam belt covers but it's to damn tight!

So anything else i should check?
or just order a new cam belt, tensioner, crankshaft seal and tear it apart. anything else needed?

I have read something about a bolt to the vct that can leak in this area. where do i find that?

Happy Christmas!

Hi
You're right it definitely needs doing if there's oil on the cambelt but unless you know exactly what you're doing I would leave the cambelt change to someone who has successfully done one on this engine before and has all the tools required. You only have to look at other posts on here and other forums to see the damage caused by wrongly fitted cambelts. I know that's not very helpfull to you but if you haven't done one before it may save you the price of a head rebuild or another engine.
Barry

I've changed cam belts many times on previous cars and rebuilt an engine before so i don't think this is too hard.
Not on a puma but i have to learn then don't i? :)

What's the best guide around (covering the vct)?

I can make all the necessary tools.

It's not the vct that's the problem it's because the cams and more importantly the crank have no keyways so once the pulleys are loosened they are free to move. In addition to this the vibration damper (the front bottom pulley) is a press fit onto the crank and can be really hard to get off without damaging it. If you send me your email via a pm I can send you the Ford technical details which also show the special tools required.
Barry

one more question. how's the crankshaft pulley mounted. do i need to make some special tools to get that removed?

Edit:
Crankshaft pulley is just hold in place with pressure from the aux pulley. Crank pulley is free on the crank when aux pulley removed.

aux pulley needs to be removed with great care. it have two M8 holes that can support a pulley puller. the aux pulley bolt should be used to push of the aux pulley.

Crank pulley has two threads, you can fashion a strap across two bolts, the crank pulley bolt can be used as a lever to bring the pulley off as you tighten the smaller bolts.

Ian. Thanks for the verification on that!

need to make some tools for this. Maybe you know?

is this the correct crank timing pin?
gM2RBJv.png

whats the exact thickness of the cam locking bar? 5mm?

I'm sorry to ask so much questions but if anyone could verify the crank locking tool that would be great. There are 2 other thicker pins it could be too but i'm fairly shure this is the one.

Rest of the tools is easier to figure out

Edit:
Yes that is that the correct crank timing pin

So now i've changed the belt and water pump and found the oil leak. It was partly the crankshaft seal and also a black blanking plug on the cam belt side that had come undone.

It wasn't so hard to sort out. making the tools probably took longer than the actual change.

Ford Workshop manual says 3,5h.
I wasn't in a hurry and it took ~14h (inclusive making all the tools)

Some random pictures from the belt change
http://imgur.com/a/QQ7XW

I had a leak from the same area but lucky for me mine was a leaking rocker cover gasket thank god

i hope you put some thread lock on that blanking plug had one come into work this week and it rattled all the way out and snapped the cam belt not to mention damaged done to the bottem end bearings and piston rings due to loss of oil. make sure the crackshaft seal is fitted flush in the housing push it to far in and your be doing the job agen :eek:k:

Back