Project 'M'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a really valid point that Pumanoob makes about weight reduction being the best value performance mod. :cool: .. I think I will look at weight reduction soon (spare wheel and retainer already gone in favour of a tin of Tyreweld!).

It's a no brainer when you think about it, as a formula. To make your car go faster;

Try to make your engine generate higher performance = complex & expensive

Make your car lighter = simple, cheap, and linear results!

.....but I couldn't quite do what Steve has done with his car, my wife would just kill me. Literally bury me in the ground! She loves the Puma too and loves it's immaculate interior! But I'd do it once the Puma reaches the end of it's "standard service life" with us, and becomes a full time project toy. :) ... at the moment it still delivers occasional kids to nursery so wouldn't work at the mo.

Longyear said:
I think I will look at weight reduction soon (spare wheel and retainer already gone in favour of a tin of Tyreweld!)
I lost my spare wheel when I had the exhaust done, but I will admit, I don't carry Tyreweld or anything! :roll:
So, I'm already on the way to making my Puma lighter....

topmansparkie said:
Longyear said:
I think I will look at weight reduction soon (spare wheel and retainer already gone in favour of a tin of Tyreweld!)
I lost my spare wheel when I had the exhaust done, but I will admit, I don't carry Tyreweld or anything! :roll:
So, I'm already on the way to making my Puma lighter....

Lol! .... ooh, couldn't be without my Tyreweld ..... just in case! :wink:

SO....

today I undertook a HUGE modification to the car..... I really was in a different league with this one; it pushed my abilities and indeed the envelope* to the limits.....

See if you can spot the mod:-

poom_018.jpg

Now, I did actually put the K&N sticker on *** tongue in cheek *** because I used to have similar 'go faster stickers' on my cars in the early 90s. :) .... So it was done for fun, buuuuut... I kinda like it, SO SUE ME! lol! :lol:

So I've decided to keep it there until my wife notices it, and places a legal order on me to remove it.

* Standard brown A4 without window.

Lol, you should consider doing a "how to" guide for this technical mod!!! :lol:

I was actually looking at some decals from DMB last night, i just want to personalise my car a little. But theres a fine line between classy personalisation, and chavvy personalisation. The good thing is if you dont like it when you put it on, or in a few months, you can just peel it off. A nice way to personalise you car.

PumaNoob said:
Lol, you should consider doing a "how to" guide for this technical mod!!! :lol:

Lol! ... HOW TO guide for the sticker, I wonder what response that's get lol!...

I put this sticker on the black valance so it will come off really easily (I'm not even convinced it will stay on anyway), when the novelty wears off (tomorrow?). :grin:

I know what you mean about decal personalization, Pumanoob .... it is a VERY fine line! ... I may go for some PP decals from DMB at some point, but I can't see anything else working on my car. I'm certainly not one for cat prints or huge stickers saying "drifting is gay" on my car, personally. :lol:

So the next proper project tasks for me now, are the Oil & Filter change, and getting some mats.

I'd love the lowering springs now but budget is mega tight, and the oil change is a higher priority.

:cool:

If you're in the market for mats, these ones are lovely (and the right shape for 2000 floorplan - there are Puma logo embroidered ones out there for the 97-99 floorplan which won't fit). Not cheap though. :shock:

evilrob said:
If you're in the market for mats, these ones are lovely (and the right shape for 2000 floorplan - there are Puma logo embroidered ones out there for the 97-99 floorplan which won't fit). Not cheap though. :shock:

Thanks Rob, they're pretty much exactly what I'm looking for :cool: ......... Price of mats is reasonable there actually but P&P a bit steep!

Still these are what I'm after so will get these ordered in the next few days :thumbs:

Right, I've cleared out all of the juvenile comments. Further irrelevent comments, digs, jibes and sarcastic replies will also be deleted.

Hi all,

Now I'm all for saving money but not sure I'd go this far: ASDA are selling "Carlube" semi-sythetic 5w30 for £3 per litre ... that means £12 for an oil change!

Has anyone dared use this stuff? ... is it ok or would it be stupidity to skimp on oil on a 12 year high revving little motor?

.... in one respect I thought, well it's semi and it's the right visc range, and hey maybe it's even made on the same plant as Castrol! .... then on the other hand I thought, it's ASDA oil, how could you consider putting that in your Puma!!

Would be interested in any views on this!

PS.. I change oil every 4-6k.

:grin:

Woohoo!! Hello Longyear!! :lol:

I can see how you're thinking on this one.... ASDA = Cheap!! :!:
I've used the Asda Oil as it was all I could afford at the time, and to be honest, I didn't notice any difference. It was nice and golden and... well, oily!

On a slightly different note, how are the wheels holding up after you painted them? Did you use 'normal/standard' spray paint. I've got a set I want to get rid of, but can't so I'm thinking about respraying original colour. I was weary about using 'normal/standard' paint in case it chips off too easily.

topmansparkie said:

I've used the Asda Oil as it was all I could afford at the time, and to be honest, I didn't notice any difference. It was nice and golden and... well, oily!

On a slightly different note, how are the wheels holding up after you painted them? Did you use 'normal/standard' spray paint. I've got a set I want to get rid of, but can't so I'm thinking about respraying original colour. I was weary about using 'normal/standard' paint in case it chips off too easily.

Thanks Topman :cool: .... Unless anyone comes along screaming otherwise, I might just take a punt with this oil. I didn't pick up any today but I need to go back in the next day or two for a Valentines Card for Mrs Longyear, so think I will pick 4L of this oil up. I mean an oil change for £12 is brilliant; I'm job hunting / building a small business at the mo, so any savings are welcome as funds are tight ..... I mean, at that price you can comfortably afford to change the oil every 2k!

Re: the painting, I used primer, paint and laquer all from "Plastikote" (brand name "Projekt Paint"). You tend to get this brand from independent DIY shops, like the small "Maxwells" chain we have up here (6 branches).

The wheels are fairing really well so far :eek:k: .... I don't profess to be anything of an expert on painting but I personally think that the preparation, environmental conditions and technique are at least as important as the paint brand, when it come to painting wheels. The cans I used were £6.99 each and I used 2 tins of primer, 3 tins of paint and 2 tins of laquer, so not pennies, but still cheaper than getting a professional to paint them. (Allthough clearly not the same standard of job: but painting black is easy and I'm more than happy with the results).

The last wheels I painted were on a VX Omega and I painted some 'champagne' coloured wheels Silver. For that job I used Halfords paint and the finished result wasn't quite as good as with the Puma's wheel. But I suspect that is because I (i) didn't rub the painted wheels down with 1200 first before laquering them, and (ii) I think I painted them in too cold an environment. :oops:

I personally think the most important skill with painting wheels is the ability to be patient. Avoiding any urges to quicken the pace, or get that 2nd coat on after 15 mins.

Cheers :grin:

topmansparkie said:

I'll second that.....

on both counts! :grin: :grin:

Oil is what you pay for it!
As a mechanic I only ever use castrol magnatec fully synthetic but if you are doing as you say and changing your oil every 4k or so then I'd suggest keeping that up.
You will notice the difference as the oil gets older, your fuel consumption will start to rise and the engine will feel like it becoming restricted, it won't run right and will sound noisier and no not in a good way.

Ginger Tom said:
As a mechanic I only ever use castrol magnatec fully synthetic
I thought the Puma uses 5/30 Semi Synthetic.......??

That could possibly be true, though I've not got involved with what oil my puma engine will need as of yet.

Fully synthetic oil has been made by man to give all the lubricating properties of mineral with none of the drawbacks, ie doesn't loose viscosity when super heated or in cold conditions, obviously you should go around and try and boil the oil that in the engine. The oil last for longer, keeps the engine cleaner for longer and improves fuel consumption because of the lower fiction values over semi or mineral oil.

I don't want to hijack the tread but please be aware that if you use lower grade oils for long periods of time you can cause damage to your engines

when i last did an oil change on msb before she went,i used asda's 5/30 fully synthetic,it actually reduced how much oil i used and never had to top it up from the time it was changed till she went which was about 3months/2000 miles,and its also a decent price :eek:k:

Ginger Tom said:
That could possibly be true, though I've not got involved with what oil my puma engine will need as of yet.

Fully synthetic oil has been made by man to give all the lubricating properties of mineral with none of the drawbacks, ie doesn't loose viscosity when super heated or in cold conditions, obviously you should go around and try and boil the oil that in the engine. The oil last for longer, keeps the engine cleaner for longer and improves fuel consumption because of the lower fiction values over semi or mineral oil.

I don't want to hijack the tread but please be aware that if you use lower grade oils for long periods of time you can cause damage to your engines
No worries mate, I'm not questioning/doubting anyone, just asking as it was mentioned! :lol:
Cheaper oil I think is best used as a 'top up'

Latest posts

Back