Project 'M'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a bit of a skinflint, so id use that ASDA oil all day long, i use carlube products all the time and quite like it. It might not be your top of the range performance oil, but your putting it in a standard engine without major performance mods, and your changing it more often then normal change periods.

Glad you reopened the thread by the way! :thumbs:

Cool, I'm convined --->

Going to go for a full oil change tomorrow with the Carlube stuff. The pennies saved by getting a full oil change for £12 can go towards the Eibach Lowering Spring Kit :eek:k:

(I need to get the project moving again, otherwise it's just putting oil & petrol in the car lol! :wink:).

I've already got the filter, although from checking out access, that's a job I'm not looking forward to!

Still, if people like PumaNoob can make engines fit, I'm sure I can change that oil filter! :grin:

Now, for oil changes, I use a Pula Pump, so you can expect some exciting pics of the world's easiest oil changes, using the Pula. If you've not heard of Pula pumps, do a Google :) ... I've got the 6L one as also use it on the Volvo which has a hyoooj oil capacity!

LOL at longyears sig!!!! :lol:

Never heard of a pula pump before, just done a google search as im intrigued, what the hell is it???

Glad you opened up your thread again
im also intrigued whats a pulapump!

DOH! .... would help if I spelled it right!..... Sorry folks, it's a PELA Pump, (not Pula!).

Here is mine, right after I'd used it to last change the oil in my Volvo:-

112.jpg

So it's a pump specifically made to be able to handle oil.

They were made originally for use in the marine sector, to change oil in boats, outboard motors etc but have caught on in the car world.

You simply place the supplied piping down your oil dipstick shaft, to the bottom of the sump. Press the pump plunger, about 6 times, go make a cuppa, come back and you have your oil out.

....no need to get car on stands or loosen the sump plug :) ... don't eve bother getting your marigolds on lol! ... you won't get mucky using this :eek:k:

It works on gravity/vacuum so putting the car on axle stands will mean you will drain 4L of oil out in say 5 minutes, whereas it may take 15 if the car is not on stands.... (hence go make the cuppa while it's draining).

This is where i got mine...... http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works perfectly and I'd never change oil the traditional way now. Just easier and cleaner this way. :)

So......... too cold to change oil today (-4c) and my wife has took the Puma to work as it's considerably more confident on this black ice than the Volvo.

So no Puma meddling today!

Hmmm, sounds an interesting tool, I think this is what I need. I was just wondering the other day about changing the oil in my car. The oil in the block is easy to do the traditional way, but I was wondering how I would get the oil out the oil cooler, I was thinking of just doing it the way people used to syphon petrol out of cars. Looks like your pump works on the same concept, but you don't end up with a mouth full of oil or fuel. :lol:

PumaNoob said:
Hmmm, sounds an interesting tool, I think this is what I need. I was just wondering the other day about changing the oil in my car. The oil in the block is easy to do the traditional way, but I was wondering how I would get the oil out the oil cooler, I was thinking of just doing it the way people used to syphon petrol out of cars. Looks like your pump works on the same concept, but you don't end up with a mouth full of oil or fuel. :lol:

Yep mate, exactly the same :grin: ... just that you hand prime the vacuum, as you say instead of risking sucking a mouthful of oil into your mouth!

Mine in the 6 litre model, so can handle most oil capacities in 1 go .... (except my Volvo D5 which annoyingly holds 6.2L of oil! :evil:

There a good bit of kit, we have one at work an use it all the time on the rear engined smart cars as they dont have a sump plug!
Also good if you dont have access to a ramp, or feeling a bit lazy.. :roll:

Are you planning on lowering it yourself? Just remember it will put more stress on all your bushes an joints so check there all in good condition or you'll be changing more stuff!

I like the black wheels, an look forward to your progress..

Seen these before, I'd still favour a proper drain as you won't be washing out sludge and swarf with it and you will still have to jack car to get filter off anyway. However they are very very good with brake fluid and make doing a full fluid change really easy.

Well bearing in mind you can still use an engine flush with these... so add engine flush in usual way, and drain with pump. Oil comes out nice and thin. You can feel the end of the pipe pressing right against the bottom of the sump, so particularly with the flush, you can get a good oil change done using this. Take your point about the oil filter, awkward on these cars. On my Volvo you lean into the engine and unscrew it... bags of room around it. Not so with the Puma!

Got my oil but no time for the oil change at the moment due to some non-Puma duties and work over the next few days. Hoping to get it all done on Thurs and may just get some spark plugs before then, and do those too. :cool:

@ Severio - No not fitting the springs myself; local garage will do for £60 so not worth me fighting with them, as I don't have adequate tools for that job. :)

Well Hello!

A nice PM from Evil Rob checking in on how I was doing made me get off my butt, and check-in back on the best Puma forum around!

The "Project M" project is still going great, although due to work-based busy-ness the car has been unloved and neglected for a few weeks. :-(

But all that will change tomorrow when (weather dependent) I have a day off and it will be getting treated to an interior and exterior detailing pamper!

Hope everyone is doing well, and I look forward to getting up to speed across the forum. :thumbs:

Hi all,

Due to financial circumstances, this lovely Puma, which drives like a brand new car, is now for sale. :-(

It will be the hardest car I've owned, to let go of..... but needs must.

I will place an entry in the "For Sale" section about it. But briefly it cost £990, but was due a timing belt, which I had done by Ford, at a cost of £362. I am looking for £900 for the car. No faults at all, other than a little rust on the arches but not as bad as most. 71.5k mileage. PM me if interested!

Thanks mate! ........... trust me, we are GUTTED that she has to go :cry: .... but since my redundancy, money is tight, and it's just crazy holding onto the running costs of 2 cars, when there is always 1 sitting on the drive doing nothing. We have 2 young kids so alas the Puma just doesn't work well as an every day family runner (we tried for a week!).

The Puma is on eBay now, so hopefully someone will get a bargain! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270966551008?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1579wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, :grin:

Latest posts

Back