project XTC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question... if I were to fit FRP arches front and rear could I just use spacers on the wheels to push them out enough?
not too worried about overall handling as long as it will be safe, to be honest by the time I get round to replacing all the bushes (car is getting a bit clonky) I figure it will handle 100% better anyway, the arches are more of a style thing for me, also would the petrol cap have to be relocated? it seems higher up but hard to tell if just an optical illusion.

Got some more resin and fibreglass and decided to crack on with the box
IMG_20120913_182506.jpg

A few more coats of resin and mat
IMG_20120914_114739.jpg

Getting ready to remove the box
IMG_20120914_123945.jpg

box out of the car ready for trimming
IMG_20120914_131204.jpg

roughly trimmed to shape
IMG_20120914_140058.jpg

Rough fit on to sheet of MDF
IMG_20120914_141652.jpg

I have decided to keep the box as compact as possible so it will be a tight fit to get the 12" sub in, but it will make it easier to stow away the box when I take it out (will have to use wadding to increase the assumed volume of the box)
IMG_20120914_144502.jpg

Box in situe to give you an idea of size
IMG_20120914_144920.jpg

I have borrowed a jigsaw from a neighbour and cut mdf to shape for the top, this has now been fibreglassed to the box from the outside and will be left to cure,
2012-09-15103324.jpg

IMG_20120915_103314.jpg

IMG_20120915_103410.jpg

I will then glass it from the inside as well to ensure a nice strong join (proper belt and braces), once this is done I will cut some MDF for the front, once I have cut the hole for the sub I will glass from the inside to join the MDF to the box (to get a nice air tight seal), I will wait and see how much effort I can be arsed to put in to making the back of the box look pretty.

Probably wont get a chance to do anything more over the weekend, as I will be spending family time with the wife and kids, and relaxing a bit to aid my recovery.

I managed to sneak 30 mins on the box before going to pick up my new motor (well my sons lol)

IMG_20120915_120624.jpg

Unfortunately the fibreglass came free of the MDF in a couple of places, but I will fill this, and also glass from the inside so it wont be an issue.
I marked up the box outline and then cut it to shape.
next I figured the optimum placement for the sub, marked it and cut it

IMG_20120915_110228.jpg

sub placed in box, i'm a happy man, just need to join the front, and glass it all together.

cheers mate, hope to finish the glass work on monday, then tidy it up on wednesday, then have it sprayed panther black thursday.
I'm waiting on that thing for you hopefully not long now!
| may also be getting my hands on a black leather interior, just need to sort out a price and then find some cash lol

what did they sell for? if I can't work for a while I could knock a few out (cost a fair bit in materials so would need to see if viable), this was more of a knock it out fairly quick to get some bass in the car (I ran the power, rcd's and remote cables about a month ago), if people want one I will straighten up the sides etc and make it look pretty lol.

I have been talking to the guy that did my wheel arch (dave the sprayer), he has kindly offered to teach me body repair if I am unable to go back to my original job, I wonder how useful an estate agent that speaks funny will be :( its a job that demands my talking pretty much all day.

He said that he cant pay me to help him, but any work I bring in I can have a portion of the cost, I said that there are a lot of puma's that need arches doing, he said if the work comes in he will fix with my help (may be do a project puma discount?)

It would be great to do a job that I would really love, and hopefully be able to earn enough money to support my family, and be able to drop off and pick up my kids...

I tried finding the link earlier but couldnt find it. I know i have it on my home computer in the UK. I think CrystalPuma might even know the link I am on about. The stealthbox....? Iirc they were about £40 and quite nice.

On the arch side of things, i saw this in a magazine the other day: http://www.contourautocraft.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I have a rear quarter on my rally car shell that needs replacing....

Hmmm think that would be a bit beyond me, I would love to learn the art of metal fabrication, as well as body repair but I am very tempted to follow the footsteps of some of the others on here and try making some carbon parts.
I have been speaking to my friend Meady that I used to work with at hotpoint, there are several threads on the internet about using refrigerator compressors for vac bagging, he is researching the compressor side of things to see if we can get our hands one that would be powerful enough to vac bag with (he is a clever bugger and a refrigeration expert), I have also been looking at DIY catch pot ideas on line and seems that it is all quite do able.

If I can get the gear together (and borrow some FRP parts from a top fella) I should be able to make you up a nice set of front wings and rear quarters, should help a little with weight reduction and have the benefit of not rusting!

Catch pot ideas? Vac Bagging?
And powerful compressor you say... I know a man (on here) who has a V6 he wants to turn into a compressor... powerful enough? lol
Not to mention the two bumpers...

loving all your little bits id maybe be interested in the bass boxes but id want 2 one for each side :p

I will look in to nocking up the boxes for you if you are interested, will depend when I get back to work and how it goes friday when I get my results back.

It would be cool to have subs on both sides, I have actually got two of the MTX thunder 4000 subs in the garage, used to run them in my fiat coupe and they were awesome.

I think for the MK II box I may do a few bits a little differently, I'm thinking MDF top and bottom as well as front and possibly the side that backs up too the seat.

Had some more time to work on the box today, and fitted sub and wiring block to back of the box, and then searched the garage and found my amps, and I have chosen to go for the 600w rms (when run as single channel) and amp as the subs are 400w rms
That way I will not have to run the amp too hard to get a decent amount of bass, and and should avoid clipping.
Powered it up and turned it on the stereo and I the amp (set to low pass) and I would have to say the sound is sweet! :thumbs:

Also had time to change my spark plugs, my mate steve came over and lent me the tools.
Its my first time doing it and I was amazed just how easy it was lol

:shock: even i've changed spark plugs before :lol:

well, well done :eek:k: lol, you learn something new every day

Everyone has a first time... apart from people with dimensia... they actually have loads of first times....

(Only a joke if you have or know someone with dimesia)

I took the car to a local garage today to find out what the knocking noise that has been getting worse recently is they took it out for a run and then put it up on the ramps, I now know what the problem is! Its the nearside anti roll bar link, they said it has extensive amounts of play
Does any one know if the cheap ones on eBay are any good? Or do I need to buy from ford?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Ford-Puma-05-97-05-02-Anti-Roll-Bar-Links-Front-/330722456989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0098359d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-1997-03-FRONT-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINK-ROD-x-2-/250552826480?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item3a561cba70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And is it worth replacing bushes standard are about £5 or these are a bit more,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Front-Anti-Roll-Bar-Bushes-in-Poly-/390412054360?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae65f2f58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or is there an frp part available that fits? If so any idea of price and part number?

Shanosburgess said:
I took the car to a local garage today to find out what the knocking noise that has been getting worse recently is they took it out for a run and then put it up on the ramps, I now know what the problem is! Its the nearside anti roll bar link, they said it has extensive amounts of play
Does any one know if the cheap ones on eBay are any good? Or do I need to buy from ford?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Ford-Puma-05-97-05-02-Anti-Roll-Bar-Links-Front-/330722456989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0098359d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-1997-03-FRONT-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINK-ROD-x-2-/250552826480?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item3a561cba70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And is it worth replacing bushes standard are about £5 or these are a bit more,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Front-Anti-Roll-Bar-Bushes-in-Poly-/390412054360?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae65f2f58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or is there an frp part available that fits? If so any idea of price and part number?

I know you said cheap, but... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370581959...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_3498wt_1020

A lot of people have used them on here, I mean that's the whole set for the front, you can just get the ARB bushes, not sure on the price. Also with polybushes they will tend to out last the car, and you can do them yourself pretty easily.

Back