Radiator fan

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that there is a problem with the hi-speed side of things, are the relays the say size? Try swapping them over, if the fault moves over to the slow speed side then the relay is at fault, if not take a look at the wiring, you may have a brake somewhere

The relays are different. The high speed one has four contacts, slow speed has about 5 or 6

just a thought, do you know anyone local to you with a puma or fiesta (maybe focus or mondeo) that would let you do a temporary relay swap?

Project Puma should have its own Puma we use just for swapping parts out with to check out our various probs :grin:

If all else fails do what I did even though my fan runs perfectly, I added a switch so I could switch on the fan myself for those really hot days or spirited drives.

Makes me feel better that I can put it on when I want and not have it wait to be too bloody hot before it decides it needs to come on.

Project Puma should have its own Puma we use just for swapping parts out with to check out our various probs

Lol. I can see a few problems with that tho quest

Me too :grin: . Plan B Project Puma should have 30 spare Puma's spread around the country for us to swop out parts with to diagnose our probs :grin: .

LOL.iF I could do that,i`d have had a new waterpump on mine ages ago! :)

quest63 said:
Project Puma should have its own Puma we use just for swapping parts out with to check out our various probs

Lol. I can see a few problems with that tho quest

Me too :grin: . Plan B Project Puma should have 30 spare Puma's spread around the country for us to swop out parts with to diagnose our probs :grin: .
....and who's going to fix those when THEY break!!??

I've been thinking about the fan today.
We know that the fan works on slow speed and looking at the wiring diagrams the ECU tells the fan to work for both the engine cooling and for the air-con.
This leads me to believe the fan system is working which only leaves on thing...
Is the ECU being told when to turn the fan on...?? And what does that...??

.....the temp sensor...

I'm figuring ProjectPuma would need another 30 spare pumas to keep the first 30 spares Puma' on the road :crazy:

Temp sensors are lke instant noodles five minutes to cook gas mk5, season to taste

I've been out with a multi meter. I measured the voltage at the sensor plug, and I got 5v (well, 4.7) which tells me the ECU is sending a voltage to the sensor.

So, that tells me the sensor IS stuffed then...?

I've ordered a new coolant temp sensor from Ford. Cost just over £30... :roll:

quest63 said:
:shock: FMSWAK :shock:
Hmm, tell me about it!

But... hopefully, without counting my chickens before they hatch, That probably 'overly priced' part has solved another issue I've had... happy days!

As for the rad fan, no idea if it will work when the temp gets too high. I left the car running for ages and the temp only stayed in the middle of 'norm'.
I'll report back when I find something new.. or not!

yippeekiay said:
If all else fails do what I did even though my fan runs perfectly, I added a switch so I could switch on the fan myself for those really hot days or spirited drives.

Makes me feel better that I can put it on when I want and not have it wait to be too bloody hot before it decides it needs to come on.

this is when people dont understand how the coolant system works and dont realise when they do stuff like this its actually not making any difference. Not your fault though iv seen so many people do the same thing.

basically switching your fan on before it would normally come on with the car wont make a scrap of difference. The reason being is that the coolant wont even be circulating through the rad at that point until its up to temp and the stat opens.

when the stat opens the fan will come on then or shortly after anyway

Latest posts

Back