Switched live feed in fuse box or under driver door?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

I'm fitting a dash cam with one of those power supplies that works off 12v and gives the dash cam 5v via USB. Anyway I'm down here in rhs of car by fuse box and carpet etc and I wondered if anyone can recommend a wire I can tap into for ignition live???

Attachments

• IMG_20190426_190953.jpg
    IMG_20190426_190953.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 67
If you want easy access to a switched live near the dashboard try looking at the wiring for the radio. It would probably be easier to use one of those as long as you aren't going to be pulling too much current through it...

Yeah I was trying to avoid going there because I've got a DAB radio and these things can be quite 'noisy' which upsets reception. I'll just have a read of handbook for a switched live fuse e.g. instruments. It's only a couple of amps, should be ok

Are there any 'gaps' or spaces where fuses could go? Inside those little gaps where there aren't any fuses you may find a switched live. You could crimp a flat spade connector on to a piece of wire and poke that connector in one of the gaps...?

I've done that for my seat height adjust power but it's an 'always on' rather than switched. Doesn't mean they all are though! I'll have a poke with the meter over weekend

I used the provided 12v lighter socket with a female lighter socket end, put them together and taped them up. Found the live for the overhead light and hid the wiring inside the cavity above the light.

I did that on my last car but eventually had connection problems. I don't like that cigar lighter power supply, it's just bulky and a PITA.

In the end I tapped into ignition (well, key position 1) feed on radio, going to a dedicated power supply for dash cam mounted just under fuse box. Unfortunately I'm getting some DAB interference as the camera is only 6 inches or so from the DAB antenna (mounted on inside of screen).

Going to see if I can improve things using ferrite magnets around power feed. Google says it's possibly a solution.

Ferrites seemed to do the trick. DAB reception OK... I've got one next to the camera itself, and one next to the power supply output.

Latest posts

Back