Where to put crossover units for front speakers?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oli8925

I was just wondering where people put crossover units for front component speakers? I want to keep the originality of the car so that I can easily return it to standard, so want to avoid cutting or drilling into body work and cutting the wires.

Is there space in the door somewhere to stick the crossover so that I can use the original wiring into the crossover and not alter it at all? Or are the front speakers already components so I can just use the original wiring and not bother with the crossover?

Not sure how these cars are wired up and what's available but I'd like to have an idea before I take the door card off and investigate.

El Dude put my crossovers in the cavity of the door card where the armrest/handle is, and the tweeters in the black covers by the wing mirrors.

med_gallery_435_48_123555.jpg

med_gallery_435_48_3686.jpg

Thanks Rob, very useful. The mirror covers look great. Are they for manual adjustment mirrors, hence the nice, neat hole?

The ones in the picture are manual adjustment mirror covers, but he actually scrapped those and redid them using the non-holey covers and flush mounts as having the tweeters at that angle (pointed straight at you) was a bit too much!

Oh right, so are they now mounted in the flattish bit, pointing across the cabin?

yeah.. the ones in that picture were a great 'idea' and looked perfect...shame they sounded HORRIBLY bright..couldn't stand it... i knew as soon as i turned them on i wasn't going to live with it... :x

buy some spare ones (other type) and practice making the correct size hole...hot glue the tweater from behind and then run a wipe of black silicone round the front edge...

if you loosely fit the door card and get underneath it..you can work out where the crossover needs to go... there isn't much margin for error..and you'll probably need to remove the cover off the crossover so you don't crush it...

ideally you need to mount it to the door so it's not just banging around and causing rattles!

it takes time to make a tidy job of it... i think i threaded the wiring through the weather shield membrane for rob too so it looked pretty neat :cool:

Have fun

:)

Back