My ICE install

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Did it last summer with a few pictures, so thought I'd share...

1st I fitted the power cable from the battery through to under the front seat:-
batterydone.jpg

Bought one of these babies:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/archive/GM-D515/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Pioneer 5 channel Class D amp to go under the front passenger seat.
gmd515.jpg

Took the passenger seat out * and mounted the amp on the floor using sticky pad / cable tie mountings through carpet to floor:-
ampinplacewide.jpg

Nice and neat:- (*yellow lead to the right is the seat belt pre-tensioner - see safety note at bottom of post)
ampabove.jpg

Then took out the HU and rewired the new Amplifier speaker outputs to the car's existing loom : good chunky wiring as std:-
DSC_0008.jpg

Luckily I bought the car with Infinity component speakers already in it:-
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=60.7cs

Put the seat back and re-checked the seat didn't foul. An inch and a half at least :D :-
inchandahalfatleast.jpg

Positioned my Auto Acoustics custom sub enclosure and wired it up:-
http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/puma-stealthboxz-96p-on-266-p.asp
sub.jpg

Tweaked about with the gain / crossover levels and all's sweet :)

Comments / questions / critisisms welcome :)

* SAFETY NOTE
When removing seats, you need to undo the seat belt pre-tensioner. As this is linked to the airbag(s) , disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before disconnection to allow the capacitor in the circuit to discharge and not cause the airbags to deploy. It is good practice to disconnect the battery when working on any car electricals anyway.

this is nice but i would want one of them enclosures for offside and nearside aswell. bit pricey.. just checked on their website... an extra 64 pounds for blue suede instead? :eek:

If you have one on the nearside, you'd have to remove it to get the jack out though ;)

Would be cool though :eek:k:

What's the sealant stuff you used for the grommet in the engine bay and where can I get some? Do they do black instead of the orangy coloured stuff you used?

I found some 'outdoor flexible sealant' in a local hardware shop, suitable for guttereing etc. As it sets, but remains flexible and waterproof guaranteed, I thought it best to use that than the indoor types that may go all funky if frost got at them. Brown was the only colour they had in stock at the time.

Great! I'll have a look tonight. I now have 4 wires going through there and last time I looked there was a pool of water sitting in the grommet so I need to do something!

Probably would have looked better black, but it's hardly as if anyone ever looks there really.
flexiblesealant.jpg

Mine looks slightly different to that... maybe because it's a later car.

I got some, couldn't get black but got translucent. Bl00dy pricey tho!!

Good to get the right stuff though. Mine wasn't cheap either.

There was only 2 types which didn't need guns and one was white. It's not a big tube and it was £5.80! Luckily I got 20% off that price but even so :?

Well at least you have it now and it should serve the purpose hence making it a good investment :eek:k:

This looks awesome!

I think when I do something like this, ill change the stock cassette player, is it hard to take out

Nope, all you need are two prongs (you can make them out of a metal coathangar) to fit in the sets of holes each side of the player. You can pull it straight out then.

I have just added, rca and remote wires inside car was quite simple, on to positive from battery, is it just a case of poking a hole in the gromet in above pic then push wire down and it comes out under left of glove box?
Of course seal it as shown above!

EDIT, installed now 12" sub box sloping back against rear seat and Vibe A3 amp in bridged mode to sub. All works fine only seem to get some clicking/popping when playing from iphone but not any other source wierd, but its nice to have bass seperate from car speakers now and let them handle the treble/mid!
Also need to install quick disconnect from vibe so can easily whip out the sub if need boot space with needing tools to dis-connect wires!!

Also must remember to seal grommet although i only cut a tiny hole and cable is held tightly around by rubber bet it will still leak in heavy rain!

I need to run a wire through that grommit too.How did you get the wire to go through the gromit.Did you just stab a hole in the gromit then feed the wire through till you could see the wire from behind the dash.

Yup - I made a hole with a knife, then pushed the cable through the hole; it comes out behind the glovebox.

Then seal the hole back up or else you'll have a damp passenger well carpet.

Latest posts

Back