Angel Eye Headlights & fitting Guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedypete101

I know it's a bit chavvy' but I though I'd get a pair of angel eye headlights for my Puma. I got them including all wiring for about £12 from china along with a load of other bits and bobs.

Here's a photo of what the car looks like with them on.
photo333.jpg

photo332.jpg

INSTALLATION;

Time - About 20 mins
Difficulty - 3/10
Tools - A Torx Driver to remove the headlights from the car), Wire cutters, Drill, File, Wire Strippers, Electrical Cable (30 cm), Cable Ties, Electrical Tape, Angel Eye Headlight 8CM (Pair) 9CM (Pair).

- First things first, remove both headlight units from the car.
- Remove the front cover from the actual headlight unit by prising open the 3 clips (two at the bottom and one at the top)

photo306v.jpg

photo304g.jpg

- Prise the plastic cover off the headlight unit (should come off easily) and place the actual headlight unit out of the way, this isn't needed until later.
- Push the smaller headlight ring through the main beam hole

photo309c.jpg

- Using two cable ties, attach the headlight ring to the headlight cover as shown, a hole may need to be drilled in the plastic to create a mounting point for the cable tie. Make sure the power connectors from the light ring pass between the light and the plastic casing or pass them through the drilled hole.

photo311.jpg

Mounting Points
photo312.jpg

Mounting point 1
photo310r.jpg

Mounting Point 2 (Where a hole will need to be drilled)

- When the first light has been correctly mounted within the casing it should look like this
photo313.jpg

- The second 10CM ring will not fit through the main beam hole without excessive bending so two groves in the plastic hole need to be cut to allow it to be pushed through. Use the file to file away the plastic until the ring can be pushed through. Put some paper or a cloth on the inside of the light case to prevent the file scratching the inside of the plastic.
photo315s.jpg

- Push the 10CM ring through the grooves in the casing and attach to the casing in the same way as the 8CM ring. Another hole will need to be drilled to attach the ring.
photo317.jpg

If all this is done correctly the light will look something like this
photo319j.jpg

- Next is the wiring. Both rings should come with a wedge fitting which will fit into the sidelight slot on the headlight unit. However, as there are two light modules to be wired up the wiring needs to be adapted.

- Take one wedge fitting and two male fitting plugs. These are used to create the circuit needed to make both light rings work.
photo324.jpg

- Wire up the three components as the wiring diagram and image below show. It helps to extend the length of the wires as this makes it easier to connect them later.
photo325.jpg

wiringdiagram.jpg

- Tape up the bare wires to prevent them from shorting on one another and plug the wedge fitting into the sidelight socket of the main headlight unit. Make sure that the wedge plug is the correct way around, you can determine this by looking at the colour of the wires leading to the back of the wedge socket.
photo328k.jpg

- Plug the male adapters to the female adapters from the light rings and put the headlight unit back together, ensuring that all three clips snap back into place.

- Replace the headlight unit in the car

- Finished

jeez, it took me more than 20 mins to read it!! ah, another of those reasons for me to call in the experts when technical things need doing - lol...the lights look very nice and, i would love to have a Stardrive (even though i dont know what it is) cos it sounds so lovely!!!
t xx

These came from a site which imports them from china to order. delivery can be up to 2 weeks unfortunately but the quality of the parts is great.

http://zizziz.net/search.php?search=car&range=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's the site I got them from.

taliabee said:
i would love to have a Stardrive (even though i dont know what it is) cos it sounds so lovely!!!
t xx

Oh, they're really marvellous things. They light up like a star when you put pressure on them to undo something then when it's undone fairy dust explodes in a shower of wonderfullness....pmsl

speedypete101 said:
These came from a site which imports them from china to order. delivery can be up to 2 weeks unfortunately but the quality of the parts is great.

http://zizziz.net/search.php?search=car&range=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's the site I got them from.

Just looked at the site but could not see the 10cm (100mm) version, was it the 12cm(120mm) version you used? Need to check before i order them as they are brill :)

Found the 8cm(80mm) ok
SJB

I was prepared to hate them, but I think they look quite in place on the car.

Well done.

speedypete101 said:
Sorry, it was 90mm and 80mm I used not 100mm.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Are they on all the time or on with the side lights or main/dipped beam?

From what I can see, he's wired them into the "sidelight" bulb socket so you have the option of having them on, on their own or with your dipped beam.

yippeekiay said:
taliabee said:
i would love to have a Stardrive (even though i dont know what it is) cos it sounds so lovely!!!
t xx

Oh, they're really marvellous things. They light up like a star when you put pressure on them to undo something then when it's undone fairy dust explodes in a shower of wonderfullness....pmsl
well, if that's not how they are, it's how they should be!! and, that being the case, i want one! :)

t xx

i really like!

id be tempted to cut a ring of frosted etc acrylic to sit over the led's so looks more like a ring than lots of individual bulbs but thats just me

jacko said:
i really like!

id be tempted to cut a ring of frosted etc acrylic to sit over the led's so looks more like a ring than lots of individual bulbs but thats just me

Here's how to make one from acrylic rod and 2 LED's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSMQk61xQ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, they are wired into the sidelights so they can be on with the dipped beam headlights or by themselves.

By the way: When I said a 'Stardrive' It was the best description for the screwdriver head used to change the screws on the headlights and front grill. I'm not 100% what its 'official' name is although I have heard it before but cant remember.

Vitch-w - I was going to go from some R8 style running lights but the ones I bought were a bit long and I couldn't find anywhere for them. Their now in the foot well to provide some 'ambient' lighting although they are a little bright. The plan is to get some dim red LEDs for the ambient lighting in the car.

Latest posts

Back