BBC confirm - Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
TV and radio presenter Chris Evans will be the new Top Gear presenter, the BBC has announced.
Evans said he was "thrilled" to get the job, describing the motoring show as his "favourite programme of all time".
"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward," he added.
He will replace Jeremy Clarkson, who was dropped after punching a producer while on location.
Evans, a car enthusiast, has signed a three-year deal to lead an all-new Top Gear line-up.
The BBC's David Sillito said the new line-up meant Clarkson's co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May would not be involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully a nice fresh start with the 3 idiots gone.

It's swings and roundabouts isn't it. I couldn't stand Clarkson!

Evans is ok. I never used to like him at all, but he's not that bad. The deal maker/breaker will be who the rest of the team are, and whether they work together well or not.

As much as I admire her for her love of cars, I hope it's not Jodi Kidd. After watching that other thing she presented with Quentin Wilson, she's not a natural presenter at all. I wouldn't want VBH either, she just annoys me.

It would be good if they got someone like Tom Ford in, he used to be on Fifth Gear, but now writes for Top Gear magazine, so he knows his stuff.

I'm in two minds as to whether I'm pleased about Evans.

On one hand, he's doesn't fit the existing format and seems at odds with it all.

On the other hand, the old format was worn beyond thin. Evans is a bit of a genius and has a golden touch with anything he turns his hand to. You might not like him (I personally do but can fully understand those that don't), but he has the ability to turn it into something different and, hopefully, entertaining again.

I think it'll be the end of the junior boys style adventures though as he's unlikely to have the time to be overseas filming all the time.

Depends on what people want from the show I guess. Personally I enjoyed "TFI" and "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush" back in the day, but I wouldn't want Top Gear to inherit any of the traits from either of those shows.

I also wouldn't want the show to go back to being the sort of car information show it was before the Clarkson/Wilman relaunch. The underlying theme of the relaunched show has been loosely based on motoring, but is mainly 3 blokes who have a great on screen chemistry having some banter and larking about in various scenarios. So for example, you wouldn't watch it to get tips on what car to buy next, but you would if you wanted to see 2 caravans being used as conkers!

It's achievement was that it appealed both to people who had an interest in cars and those that had none whatsoever. Maintaining that across the board appeal will, I imagine be the hardest thing.

Ironically the viewing figures for Evan's first show will undoubtedly be the highest Top Gear will have ever had. As all the people who disliked the original presenters will be watching, along with all those who liked the original presenters and have tuned in to see how the new ones compare.

The key to it's ongoing success I feel, will be entirely down to the on screen chemistry between Evans and his co-hosts whoever they will be.... On that subject I imagine you'd need to look to someone with a motoring background who Evans has worked with in the past. Jason Plato and Suzi Perry maybe? (I think that at least one of the presenters should be female).

At least one of the presenters WILL be female, down to the BBC's rule that every aired programme has to have at least one female in each episode. This pretty much brings it down to the three already mentioned, as there aren't really any others that would fit the bill, unless i'm being daft and forgetting someone. I'd rather have Suzi Perry out of the three because she knows her stuff, is a good presenter and isn't catastrophically annoying.

There was also some talk of getting Guy Martin on it too, which would hopefully introduce some motorbike related material. Although if it was up to me i'd bring back Steve Berry, because sometimes it's good to hear an accent on the BBC, that isn't Welsh.

Chris Evans is also going to be producing the show so expect some of his trademark anarchic TFI/Toothbrush style.

How about Sabine Schmitz as the female presenter?

I'll look forward to it and give him a chance. I've always watched without fail but the some of the last series did feel as if they were struggling for new ideas. So I think it was time for a change anyway and nothing lasts forever.

Chris will be a good presenter / producer and his love of cars does come across. He does have a slightly irritating tendency to go off on self indulgent silliness now and then (he was talking about "kids with skids" on his show as an idea this morning arrragh)

My vote for others would be Tim Shaw from Car SOS, Suzie Perry, and maybe Edd China for some occasional more serious but engaging technical bits? For some reason the usual footage of brand new expensive cars going round a track just makes my eyes glaze over. I love more practical stuff about regular everyday cars and the presenters interacting with them.

I think the BBC rule about females, applies to the programme as a whole, not the presenters. So if you have all male presenters hosting the show, but have a female guest, that's your quota filled. Otherwise surely Mastermind would need 2 hosts one male and one female as would Question time. Mock the Week has a male host and male team captains, but then they have at least one female guest. The same can be said of certain episodes of Have I Got News for you.

Anyway why just 3 hosts? It's all about a fresh start so why not 4 or 5. Evans tends to be a 'gang' type of guy, just listen to his radio shows, he spends far more time interacting with sports/travel/weather/news reporters than any other DJ, he seems to 'feed' off them, so presumably if there were more presenters it'd suit his style better?

I know it doesn't have to be the hosts, but unless they completely change the format, they'd have to have a female star in a reasonably priced car every week, or just some token woman in the features. And I don't think the pretty girls they make stand at the front of the crowd really counts.

Well, as Evans declared on The One Show tonight, there will be auditions for new presenters, and ANYONE will be able to apply. All you need is enthusiasm for, and a little bit of knowledge about cars. There was no indication of the numbers of potential presenters, but it blows the guessing game wide open. They might end up with someone already well known, and that bloke from down the road who's always building cars... :D

Well how did they cope with it on the last series of Top Gear? This female quota thing has been around for a while now hasn't it?

It has, and I don't know how they slipped through the net, because every other show - that I saw - conformed. Maybe there was some loophole, or somebody got paid off, it is the BBC after all.

I'm sad!!!! Top Gear was the last bastion on TV for political incorrectness...now it's gone! If there has to be a woman on there it has to be Vicky BH but I will miss the blokeish side of the programme

Suzie Wolff = new Stig?

And none of that "who is it?" cobblers.. have them on for a quick interview after to see how the car actually behaves on the limit around a track..

If they even have a new "stig" that is.. :lol:

yippeekiay said:
Please dear god, no women presenters on it. Cars are a mans domain!

I know it's sexist and I'll get some flak for this but I don't care, they don't have a clue!

:p

There is a 'one click ban' button I'm tempted to use... :evil:

Latest posts

Back