Front crank oil seal and tappet problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiestaphilwxm

Evening all. I have two big problems with my 1.7 powered fiesta mk4.

1, I seam to be leaking oil from the front crankshaft oil seal, I can see it dripping from the bottom of the Pulley on the belt side of the engine. Is this easy enough to replace (Baring in mind I did the conversion myself from an endura. and did the cam belt and water pump etc too. (image for reference:
gallery_30_252_61825.jpg
)

2, I seam to have a tappity sound, almost like my old 8V Endura engine and its driving me crazy, these are two videos of the noise so you can see if you agree that it is the tappets (it's really noticable in person, but not so much on video anoyingly). If it is, how to I go about changing these as Im under the impression there hydrolic tappets which I've never worked with or understand.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks, Phil.

agreed and oil is leaking there because crank is wobbling slightly on its axis due to worn bottom end

easy way to tell where the sound is coming from is stick a screwdriver on the engine block near the bottom end and press the handle against your ear and listen.

also check plugs as they may be black and oily on the cylinders which the crank is worn

The plugs are all in great condition. Ive recently converted to non PAS stearing. since then it seems to have got louder wich I thaught was a coincidence but could it be the aux belt pulley on its way out as Id'e of played with it to get the old belt of and the new shorter belt on?

cheers.

You say you changed the cambelt. Are you sure you timed it back up correctly?

It does sound like mine did before it sounded like a proper bag of spanners :(

Im prety sure, that Is the engine was out of the car for months. I timed it up, and then would turn it over to check its still in line, I did this a fair few times, each time it was still fine.

Im guessing that could be it as it was slightly down on power on a recent rolling road.

Is it easier to take the engine out and time it, as It looks like a right pain when its in there.

Cheers, Phil.

Back