haGGard's Black Cat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haGGard

Hey,

Never really got a thread up on here, probably because so far it would have been the least updated build thread on here!

Bit of recent history on the car. I bought my Puma back in April this year. its my first 'modern-ish' car after my retro fords lol. Bought it because i liked the look of it really, and there was something about the look of the headlights i love lol.

Car went in for a cambelt change in the summer, which my regular garage done for me. After 2 weeks, the cambelt came loose and basically ripped my 65k engine to pieces. Valves bent, cambelt torn, cams had huge chunks taken out of them. Anyway, the garage rebuilt the engine at no cost to me, and again, the engine destroyed itself. The garage rebuilt the engine AGAIN, and for the 3rd time the engine ripped itself to pieces. All this time i've been driving around in a courtesy vauxhall NOVA! Anyway, cut a long story short the garage just bought another engine and plonked it in the car, which im not too fussed about, as its a 55k engine and seems to give me a much better return in fuel. The garage blamed the mishaps on the VCT, but im not sure myself :/ I did get a free brand new clutch out of it though.

Anyway, i decided i wanted the stealthy dark look. I soon got my windows professionally tinited. Rears fully smoked, the sides half smoked. Also fitted some mondy 17" ST alloys.

DSC_3062Large.jpg

I bought the alloys in haste and forgot to check the offset. turned out they were ET49 if i recall correctly and as you all know, thats waaaay out and they scrubbed pretty bad. I sold them on eBatty but was scammed by the buyer and ended up with no wheels, and no money for them as paypal decided to side with the buyer as usual. I even told the police and to this day they are still aparently working on the case....yea....sure. Back on the 9 spokes for now then.

Decided i wanted stealthy black alloys, but cant afford it at the mo, so i've settled for some nice propellers instead which ive not fitted yet.

Also bought a brand new cat back milltek stainless pipe, and my AP coilovers arrived today too. Happy days.

27102009115.jpg

27102009114.jpg

Thats it for now, will hopefully be riding low on the coilies soon, along with the milltek being fitted soon.

Agree, interesting story so far. How annoying about the PayPal thing. I'd have been filing complaint after complaint to them!

Yea i did complain a few times, also phoned then up and ranted at them, but nothing. That was a few months ago now so im well over it, still obviously annoyed by it though lol.

Cheers for the comments. I cant wait to get started on the coilovers/exhaust. Coilovers should be on by next weekend, and fingers crossed the exhaust too!

Surely you must know where the guy lives as you sent him the wheels????
I wouldn't of hestitated in going around and getting them back and giving him a cheeky smack just for the cheek of it!!!!

Seller is pretty far away to pop round his house. I've moved on from that anyway, decidied to learn a lesson from it and move on.

Put my properller alloys on today, never thought i'd see the day when i'd need to use a big hammer and scafolding bar to remove a wheel nut. Think it might be tmie to invest in some of that beautiful stuff; copper grease lol.

Didnt take any pics because it just looks like any other puma at the mo. Should be fitting my coilovers next weekend.

Yeah this 'courier' he used was actually just a couple of mates of his in a transit. All looked believeable. They came out in high-vis vests and a clipboard. They gave me a printed (fake) receipt. I thought it was all sorted. But a week went and i got the the email "have the wheels been picked up yet as ive received nothing" so i explained. Next thing i know i have a claim against me.

Got the car back from the garage today! :grin: Milltek cat-back fitted and sounds great. Much better than i thought it would sound! I was considering going for a full system but it sounds good enough as it is. Love the burble :cool: Coilovers also fitted! Handles like a dream, and now it looks as sleek as it should!! No more room for illegal immigrants under my arches!

Pics to follow tomorrow!

The reflection is making them look darker than they actually are to be honest. Ive got fully smoked on the rear quaters and rear screen (thats still not as dark as a limo tint) and on the fronts ive got half smoked which is still illegal but let in lots of light. My MOT tester is cool with them, and on my old car i had fully smoked all round and the many times i got pulled the windows were never as issue.

Just a small update.

Im getting excited its finaly going to be 'niggle-free' soon. Just won an N/S headlight on ebay so that can replace my cracked one. Also had a N/S fog light delivered today off ebay to replace my faded one. Now im going to start saving and in the new year get all the bodywork done!

Its all money but will look smart when its finished.

Looks good mate, i love the tints, i'm toying with the idea of getting mine done professionally, but i don't think it'll look right against the colour of mine. Looks awesome on yours though.
The exhaust looks good too :)
That sucks about the wheels but at least you're not letting it bother you anymore.
So who were your local garage who kept getting your VCT wrong?

The tints look a lot darker than they actually are in that pic, the fronts are only actually half smoked and you can see through them fine.

I think most people know about the VCT but to cut along story short i went for a cambelt change, the new mechanic that had litterally just started working there fitted it wrong and a week later my engine had ripped itself to pieces. Wish i got pictures at the time but they showed me all the bent valves, cams with the notches shredded right off etc. After this they fired the mechanic lol.

They rebuilt it all without the designated mechanic this time (cost them about 1000 pounds they said) and they got it running and within 5 minutes it had done the same thing again. So again they rebuilt it (to the cost of another 1000 pounds) and it done the samw thing for the 3rd time! Int the end they just chucked another 1.7 engine in there with 55k miles which already had a fresh cambelt on it.

The main man said to me it was the VCT that confused them.

Anyway, all sorted and this engine is quieter and give a better return in fuel so im happy.

This evening i gave it a change of oil and oil filter. Also changed the fuel filter as it was very rusty, everything went very smoothly though. Oh and i changed one of the rear fog lights as it was cracked and the plastic was faded. A productive (cold) afternoon! :)

Latest posts

Back