Heater fan speed not working on "1"

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YORKSHIRE LAD

Not sure if this has been covered before but the heater will only work on 2,3 and 4,
I have had the switch apart and everything looks OK with nothing broken but still wont work. Is this something to do with the resistor under the dash or possibly something else?

Also, the indicator wont cancel on left turns, so I am looking to replace the stalks. Are they in two pieces so that I don't have to remove the steering wheel?

Any help on either topic will be appreciated.

No the stalks are one piece and as far as I recall you need to remove the steering wheel to replace.

steeringwheelremoved.jpg

As for the heater, this type of problem is usually the heater panel itself, I'm sure I've only seen the resistor pack cause setting 4 to fail but it used to be a cheap part and easy to test I understand.

Failure of the fan resistor USUALLY stops the fan working on 1,2 & 3 because those three speeds go through the resistor whereas speed 4 does not. :eek:k:

OK guys, thanks. Will probably leave the indicator stalk then and just put up with it as I don't feel confident in removing the steering wheel with the airbag etc.
With the heater, when you say the heater panel, do you mean the actual switch or something else?

Cheers

The whole unit, I never had it happen so I don't know why they fail but I guess it's either the switch or the circuitry since there isn't much else to it.

Thanks Red, I'll do a bit more checking with the wiring and the contacts in the switch to see if it is something that is fixable without needing to renew it.
As you say, there isn't a lot to it.

Cheers

For the heater blower you will need one of these...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Blower-Motor-Fan-Resistor-Ford-Focus-KA-Fiesta-Mondeo-Puma-L104/253234981065?hash=item3af5fb28c9:g:7bMAAOSw~jpbTvBH
Fits under the dash in the passenger footwell.

DOH said:
With regard to the indicator stalk assembly after removing the 2 covers it is held in by 1 torx screw at the top and apparently according to this video can be changed without removing the Steering Wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyODVIYAXc
I'm pretty sure I've removed one without taking the steering wheel off, but you have to be careful of the sprung brass contacts that connect to the back of the steering wheel/clock spring...

Stalks can come out without taking the steering wheel off.

Heater fault sounds like the resistor but as posted resistor failure normally loses you 1,2 and 3 so could also be the panel. Resistor cheaper and easier to swap in to test, see if anyone local can meet up and lend you theirs for five minutes before you spend any money.

Latest posts

Back