Project 'M'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further Project update today: I have received a quote for Project Item (7) on my list (Timing Belt,Aux Belt, Tensioner, etc, etc), from Holiways Ford.

The quote is £341 fully inclusive of parts, labour & VAT which doesn't seem to bad, for a Ford Dealer.

That is for:-

- Cam Belt
- Tensioner
- Bolts
- Aux Belt
- Cam Cover Gasket

.....so I have decided to go with Holiways (they're on the 'cool list' here :cool: ), and will book the car in within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers. :grin:

Funnily enough I was avoiding silver myself when I was looking for one but its grown on me now.
But the Pacific greens grown on me more

Good luck with it

The technical term is:-

BUGGER!

....got into the Puma this morning to discover that the heater is only blowing out COLD air, regardless of the position of the heating temperature knob.

Broken HCV ?

So all project tasks on hold until I can fix that - it's cold up here and having no heating is a no no.

Aside to that the car is going to the garage in the morning for new front discs & pads (needs adding to the project task list!).

Cheers.

Might be a bit obvious but have you checked there is enough water in the cooling system?

The heater matrix is one of the highest points in the system, if the coolant level is low or you have a leak one of the first signs can be no heat inside the car :grin:

good luck

Hi thanks mate, yes good points, checked both, no leaks and plenty nice pink coolant, stable on the 'max' level. :)

Having searched the forum and read all the HCV-related posts, I reckon it just needs a new HCV. I've taken a look at the existing one and the part number makes me think it's a cheap eBay patterned part. The heating worked fine when I bought the car 10 days ago, so I reckon the HCV had probably failed and the seller just stuck a £10 eBay job in, to get it working for the sale, which has now failed.

Will go and get a proper Ford part tomorrow and stick it in :thumbs:

Cheers,

Hi Scuba,

If it were Thermostat, would there be other symptoms, such as an eratic or unusual readings on the dash temp gauge?

I've only got lack of heat from the interior heater: no other symptoms or issues, hence hoping it was the HVC.

I'm now wondering if I should just order the res pack too, with it just being a tenner....

I wouldnt go jumpng into spending for the resistor pack just yet.
The following may help
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=3272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I remember the excellent advice from Pumanoob there is a bypass circuit for the water system so that water circulates around the heater matrix that bypasses the back of the thermostat so even if the thermostats jammed shut water circulates around the heater matrix.

I think if theres no overheating its probably just the HCV

Thanks Quest.

The Puma is in the garage today getting new front brake pads & discs, so I'll pop up to Holiways Ford (Durham) in the Volvo, to pick up a new HCV :thumbs:

Updated Project Planner:-

PHASE I - COMPLETED

- Obtain second remote fob as only have 1 at present and that makes me nervous!
- Obtain & fit Clear Side Repeaters.
- Clean MAF sensor.
- Clean fuel system with BG44k.
- Free up jammed drivers lock (was working fine with remote but not 'key in lock'.
- Have new Cam Belt kit fitted (inc. tensioners, bolts, aux belt, cam cover gasket etc).
- Remove spare wheel, to reduce weight, and use tyreweld onboard instead.
- Replace front brake pads & discs.

PHASE I - NOT YET COMPLETED

- Engine Service: Change Oil, Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs.
- Source and fit replacement passenger mirror.
- Paint original wheels matt black.
- Paint mirrors matt black.
- Fit performance panel filter (eg. K&N).
- Fit new number plates.
- New Puma matts for front & back.
- Paint brake calipers red.

PHASE II - NOT YET COMPLETED

- Choose & Fit Replacement Suspension Kit (lower -30mm)
- Fit FRP Manifold & exhaust
- Get FRP type remap from Pumaspeed

UPDATE:

Smoked Side Repeaters arrived today, and took approx 15 seconds per side to fit :lol: (so worth getting custom fit as no wires to cut/join; just replace the bulbs and screw on new lens = job done).

For £11 they really transform the car and work towards it's "modernization" objective nicely.

Too dark now but pics tomorrow :cool:

The Puma also got new discs and pads on the front yesterday and stopping action is 500% better :thumbs:

Hoping the HCV will arrive tomorrow, as it's still a COLD place to be at the mo!

Cheers.

Pics of the car (taken in the dark), with the new Smoked Side Repeaters fitted:-

how_to23.jpg

how_to24.jpg

... I know its a simple job but I took photos while doing it, so you can check out the HOW TO guide here, if you like:-

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&p=192089#p192089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My HCV arrived but when it was too dark to fit, so that little project will be taking place tomorrow... praying I can get some heat back into the chilly 'cat!

Cheers.

We have HEAT ... and we're loving it!

So, got the new Heater Control Valve fitted this morning, using this excellent guide;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....I have to admit I was a little nervous about this job, and cordoned off a couple of hours in my morning to get it done. Until about 3 months ago, my technical car experience consisted solely of spark plug & oil changes and maybe the odd other simple job. I then bought a collosally crap Corsa and had to learn how to fix it constantly ;)

.... in the event it was all done and dusted in a little over 20 minutes :) .... there were some nervy moments. Firstly, access to the HCV is really awkward - I did remove the guard thing from the back of the engine bay but even with that off, the entire engine bay itself will still feel like it's 'in your way' while doing this job! ... the next challenge was that the clips that Ford use to secure the hoses to the HCV are buggers... (I've decided)... Because you have to use one hand on the pliers to open the clip, this means that (unlike with a jubilee clip) you only then have 1 hand free to try and move the clips. One on my clips moved out of the way easily but the other was snagging a little into the hose and wouldn't budge for 10 mins. :evil: ... got it back eventually. Even with the clips right back from the end of the hoses, the hoses at the back of the HCV did not want to budge at first and again access makes it hard to leverage them off. Got there in the end though..... Just some advice for others doing this job; it's much easier if you remove the front hoses first, then the back (as I found out by doing the reverse lol)... I done what the guy in the HOW TO guide did, and kept the front hoses propped skywards with a bit of cardboard, to prevent fluid loss. If you're doing this job and like me, you're not the most experienced tinkerer with cars, bear in mind that you will probably lose a little bit of water as there will be some in the old HCV itself, and some in the back end pipes (as you face them) which will leak a bit as you dislodge those ones. But don't panic - I only lost about 1/3 of a cup full, which I replaced after completing the job.

The next slight hair raising moment was that after completing the job, I started the car but the starter turned for about 5 secs before the car started - gulp! - I am guessing that this is while the cooling system is bleeding the air out?, following the de-pressurisation (or something along those lines).... anyway when it did start all was fine, and after a minute or so lovely hot air coming out of the heater vents... for the fisrt time in a week :thumbs:

I let the car get up to temperature - no overheating - and the reservoir bottle was maybe 3mm off the 'max' mark, so a small top up and we're done!

Next jobs: Getting some red caliper paint and painting the calipers, then starting the wheel painting project :thumbs:

Cheers.

I cant imagine it taking a little while to start had anything to do with pressure in the system just one of those things.Glad you had an easy job with the repeaters I had my arch liners out doing other jobs and even then they were hard to remove.

Keep an eye on the fluid level for a while to. :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Keep an eye on the fluid level for a while to. :thumbs:
VERY good advice...

After changing my radiator, my cooling system took a couple of weeks to settle down.

....yeah it's easy to finish a job like the HCV, slam the bonnet shut and forget about it .... but I will definately keep an eye on the cooling system for the next few weeks. :grin:

Just pleased it was just the HCV and not the HCV, Thermostat, Resister Pack etc that some people suggested it may have been.

Latest posts

Back