Puma_Sam's very own track day project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tuonokid said:
Hi Sam
Looking at the photos of your stripped out interior, unless the photos tell a lie you should have a look at the inner sills next to the rear beam support brackets. There might be a rust issue there but I hope not. If there is you need some welding doing before you track it.
Good Luck
Barry

Hi,

I am not certain but If I think I know where you mean it may be just the insulation that I didn't tidy up after ripping the lining out.

The only place I can remember seeing some rust was just behind the rear right bolt of the drivers seat. it seems solid and looks to be just the paint that has bubbled slightly. Ill take a picture at some point for your advice.

stumc said:
a hoffman race tube is properly a good choice, search ebay for these, theyre pretty cheap. i have 2 spare standard exhausts at the minute though, so if you want a std replacement system, or even just the back box, drop me a pm and we can sort something out.

Cheers pal, I will get back to you if I get stuck without being able to sort it before a track day.

I have looked on ebay and found the following item: 291099257739.

Is this what you are suggesting, also where abouts does this join to the existing system?

do I need anything else in order to fit it on to what I have now?

yeah thats the one. it just bolts up to the downpipe as per standard system. should fit straight on mate, worth getting a new gasket for the downpipe and a new clamp for the back box.

Ta mate,

My list is growing, which is worrying as I have done 75% of the free stuff and im going to need parts from here on in.

Tonight I started to strip the sound deadening material... which I see leaves an unsightly mess, spray it?

the speakers have also been taken out and I will take out the heater (I think) at the weekend, although I'm conscious of misting, need to check if it has a heated windscreen (fingers crossed but not holding my breath). I had 5 minutes trying to get the stereo out tonight but I was struggling and might need the correct tool as nails and alan keys just were not cutting it!

photo_zpsc49faa00.jpg

Yeah it's a messy job but I find it strangely satisfying lol! Use method or white spirit on the residue, let it soak then scrub it off with a scouring pad, then wipe up the shite that's left with a rag.

stumc said:
it's a messy job but I find it strangely satisfying lol! wipe up the shite that's left with a rag.

Hahaha, are these the same technical terms I might find in the handbook!?

cheers ill give it a go, its one of those jobs that feels like you aren't getting very far with.
ill rip some of the dash out first to feed my progress addiction. :grin:

I think this forum is going to become the official puma track car club... Nothing wrong with that! Welcome to the track car gang!!

Hi Jay.

I have a track Puma, it surprises everyone at the trackdays I have done.
If you take out the £20,000 poser cars its the just about the best of the rest!

At a Blyton sprint last year I finished 13th out of 26 cars. It was only my third time on track!
all for bottom dollar prices with spares easily available. (I love Fords)

I blew my gearbox a last weekend at Angelsey....
rather than repair it, I might just get another (car) and bolt all my goodies onto it....

Welcome Sam. You're in good company here... There are a lot of us running Puma track cars and we're all hooked! You'll have a blast. Make it as light as you can, decent tyres and a good exhaust and you'll be having loads of fun!

Ps ... Suspension and brakes help massively too. The standard suspension is far too soft for track.

All the better for it Scott! more advice that way!

I cannot wait to get out on track and as stated above by trublustu, I want to get on with driving around the bigger more powerful cars!

stumc said:
Puma_Sam said:
the heater is easy to remove when youve taken the dash out. simply unbolt it from the panel under the windscreen (nuts inside the car) and itll drop out. connect up the heater pipes to make a closed circuit again and youre away. the aircon is trickier. you need to take the car to get the gas removed. you defintely should not stick some welding wire in the valve and go inside for a cup of tea. once the gas is out, the pipework and components can be removed, but the pipes have to be cut in a few places to remove them as theyre pressed fittings and cant be disconnected. you then can either leave the aircon pump attached, but it weighs a ton. or you can fit the non-aircon type power steering pump and hoses in its place and save another lump of weight. you can get the non-aircon PAS pumps from various fiestas.

So after you take it to the garage to get the gas removed, how much do I need to fork out for a power steering pump fitting so I can do away with the air con pump.

Just got back from Oulton Park and the car was amazing, that is definately one track that should be high on your list to try. One point that one of the pro race drivers made to me - he said my car was set up perfectly because the rear suspension was slightly lower than the front. This creates a much better and faster turn in and better weight shift under braking that helps with accelerating out of corners. I'm afraid it was set like this more by luck than jugement but hey, sometimes you learn from your mistakes in a good way.

Puma_Sam said:
is this it? eBay item number:

thats the one matey, you will need the pipe work for it, or be prepared to make your own up.

oulton is a great circuit! ive only ever done one session on there at the time attack last year, between their sessions. was great and i managed to pass several much 'quicker' cars! get held up behind a powerful but very poorly driven and ignorant corsa on my last few laps. ruined the session!

Noobrider said:
Just got back from Oulton Park and the car was amazing, that is definately one track that should be high on your list to try. One point that one of the pro race drivers made to me - he said my car was set up perfectly because the rear suspension was slightly lower than the front. This creates a much better and faster turn in and better weight shift under braking that helps with accelerating out of corners. I'm afraid it was set like this more by luck than jugement but hey, sometimes you learn from your mistakes in a good way.

Nice one mate, pleased you had a good track day, how many laps you get in?

stumc said:
Puma_Sam said:
is this it? eBay item number:

thats the one matey, you will need the pipe work for it, or be prepared to make your own up.

oulton is a great circuit! ive only ever done one session on there at the time attack last year, between their sessions. was great and i managed to pass several much 'quicker' cars! get held up behind a powerful but very poorly driven and ignorant corsa on my last few laps. ruined the session!

Sorry for being dumb!... Is it just rubber hose and 8-10mm copper?

also, would you buy the one is posted above?

dont know how many laps but did 150 miles on track, a full tank plus a 20 ltrs jerry can of fuel 2.69 miles per lap works out about 56 laps

i believe so mate yes, ive never had to faff about with the power steering pipes, but i wouldnt be 100% sure just jubilee clips on high pressure hose would be enough. cant really answer that to be honest.

best bet is to get yourself down to a breakers yeard and rob everything you need of a scrapped 1.25/1.4 fiesta. you know the pipework is going to be right that way.

buying 2nd hand parts is always a bit of a gamble but worse case scenario - it dies after a few track days, who cares?! youll have spent hundereds on fuel, track time and tyres by then so a new pump will be a drop in the ocean money wise!

if you want to be really hard core then take the rack appart, rip out the seals and valves and run no power steering at all!

Latest posts

Back