Puma_Sam's very own track day project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone run a puma with the fiesta manual rack.
I believe its loads "slower" than the Puma rack

It would be easier to do the belt, pump/s and rack all at once..

Scubasteve did, he's no longer on the forum but his thread is the most indepth weight loss project on the forum

So, I have seen the mk5 ST 280mm discs that I will look to purchase this weekend.

Also, good news is that the heated windscreen works! Which is a good job as I have already taken the heater unit out and am now struggling with the dash (cutting it down) and trying to get the ac unit out.

Any advice on how to cut the dash as neat as stumc's?

Hi Kizza

Ive got the belt and tensioner and sourced a rack.
I hadnt thought about the column, thanks for the info :)

How did you get on with the slower rack?

FYI, i was under my car the other day and noticed the pipes for the cooler are just clipped on with the same style clamps as the coolant hoses so decent jubilee clips on high pressure hose should be fine for the PAS system!

as for the dash, bang a bit of masking tap on here and there to mark your straight lines, then use a hole saw to get a nice radius for the corners, then go nuts with an angle grinder!

Cheers stumc - I'm a bit of a perfectionist with crap like that, was struggling to find a neat way. I'll give your suggestion a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/breaking-ford-fiesta-st-150-2008-front-discs-and-calipers-/321276778438?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4acd9697c6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers guys, found a website for them although there are two sizes on there and im uncertain which I need.

http://www.carbrakecalipers.co.uk/?gclid=CKvit43wvb0CFaQfwwodpnIAOA

Also... next question,

Air Bag...

how do I make safe and disconnect? I see the Air Bag control module, what happens if the connections into it are pulled out?

Im wanting to dismantle the gubbins and metal work from the dash in order to trim it down, but first I want to ensure the airbags are dead/removed.

Also, whats the best way of removing the aircon condenser from under the dash? I have had the gasses removed and I have since stripped most of the plastic housing from around it already.

Puma_Sam said:
Cheers guys, found a website for them although there are two sizes on there and im uncertain which I need.

http://www.carbrakecalipers.co.uk/?gclid=CKvit43wvb0CFaQfwwodpnIAOA

Also... next question,

Air Bag...

how do I make safe and disconnect?

Those calipers will work out expensive - they are sold on an exchange basis so there will be an additional fee (30 quid or so) on top if you don't have any to exchange. Each. eBay or breakers is still a better bet, even if you have to refurb them. If you still want to go for them, there are two sizes as they are front and rear. The fronts are the ones with OE part numbers 1355100 for near side front and 1355099 for offside front.

As for the airbag, take a look at the steering wheel removal in the how-to section. Normally removing the battery for 30 mins allows any residual current to dissipate and makes it safe to pull the airbag. Note that if you are permanently removing it the warning light will come on...

I have stripped the airbags out of my track car and a not insignificant problem has occured to me...

As well as the bags, the airbag module also fires the seatbelt pre-tensioners!
If I were to have a woops on track the belts would "probably" not work properly and the concequences could be horrific.

My solution...
Before our next outing we will be wearing harnesses strapped up tighter than at an S&M party. :)
(please dont ask how I know how tight that is :cool: )

As for the aircon matrix, It comes out from under the bonnet. (through the top of the heater box)
The Fiesta haynes covers it with pics.

Update -

So I have been struggling for time so its been a little slower than I would have liked, Family hey!

so, I have bought the MTEC 280 discs and have hopefully sourced some callipers for them.

I have just took the airbags out, with the much helpful guide that has been posted on here. It was quite a satisfying job done.

see picture below
image_zps112b0b87.jpg

After taking out the aircon unit from inside the cabin, I found that a huge hole was left going into the engine bay, so too did removing the cabin filter housing.

I will have to get some aluminium and bolt it through (ill use heat resistant silicone to create a seal)

The problem I came across was disconnecting the two rubber hoses that passed through. I found a lot of red coolant so I connect them together to create a closed circuit?

is this correct? or do I need to do something else?

also do I need to replace any of the liquid that was lost when taking it out?
I turned the engine over in curiosity to see what would happen and the result was the aforementioned.

I used some pipe knocking about and pushed it together, as the pipe was slightly bigger than the hoses, I couldn't place the securing clips back over them.

image_zps496fa666.jpg

image_zps21ec50a4.jpg

youre bang on with connecting them up, just completes the circuit the matrix used to make. you wont need to add much if any coolant really, those pipes are high up in the system so wont have been much siphone effect. just run the engine up with the pipes reconnected and see where the level settles, top up accordingly.

I have not been able to put the existing clips on so at the moment they are just pushed together with a piece of pipe in-between.

is there any pressure in the pipe once it has heated up a little?

will normal jubilee clips do the job.

Also, What next in terms of removing the final components of the AC system.

I have ordered a non AC, PAS pump (as I want to lose some additional weight) but im unsure what I have to do/will find next when I take a closer look at it.

currently the only thing I have done in the engine bay is disconnect the two pipes from where they pass into the cabin.

is there a guide on here at all?

I would definitely get clips of some kind on them pipes. If one pops off, that'll probably cause a lot off coolant to be dumped.
The system will pressurise as the coolant heats up.

Is there a certain type of coolant I need to add to the existing? I think I will need to top it up a little when I next do some work on it.

Ill pick up some jubilee clips to stick on too.

Just looking into which pads to fit with the 280mm set up.

I have seen that people bang on about the ''insert colour here'' stuff pads.

I have seen them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

eBay item number: 390500960989

are these the correct size? im paranoid when it comes to handing over the cash unless im certain that im buying the right gear. please advise :)

Latest posts

Back