Puma_Sam's very own track day project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just pop some standard jubilee clips on there mate, they will be fine. i actually prefer them to the standard clips. it will probably pop one of the hoses off as said.

as for coolant, youll get away with just topping the system up with tap water assuming theres a decent mix of coolant and water in there already. its worth draining the whole system and doing a 50/50 coolant water mix at some point though.

those pads are rears judging by the description. the 'insert colour here' stuff pads are made by EBC. the colour is there designation for the compound/application of the pads. black being std road compound, green stuff - uprated/fast road, red stuff - 'flagship fast road' - yellow stuff 'fastest street'/track, blue - intermediate track, orange - full race.

for your application id say redstuff would be a good allrounder. i run greens on my puma on the 260mm brakes and since i stripped it out, ive found them to be ok. they will fade if i really hammer them im sure, but with redstuffs on the ST brakes youd be fine i think.

as for the A/C, get shot of all the pipework, drier (little canister in the drivers side inner arch, infront of engine mount), the aircon rad and finally the pump. once you have the non-A/C PAS pump fitted the belt you have will be too long so youll need the auxiliary belt from a non-A/C car, which you can get from any 1/2 decent motorfactors.

Good spot with the rears! (bangs head!) I have found the fronts for £65.

So you think that the redstuff will be suitable, Im only using them for track. Have been pricing the toyo 888's up today. £380 ish for a full set.

The drier has gone and currently I have stripped it back as below;

image_zps13786ccc.jpg

This is the picture I wanted advice with... Whip the rad section out? is this in any way connected to the main rad? what about the sensor?

image_zps617e94c6.png

Air con rad is connected to the water rad with two 8mm bolts on the bottom and two sliding clips on the top although you'll probably need to lower the frame by removing the two sets of two 10mm on the bottom of the chassis legs to give you enough room to extract it.

That'll also get the fan out of the way once you've disconnected it.

If you plan to remove the air con compressor and re-site the PAS pump you'll also need non-AC PAS hoses.

Cheers Ian,

I have bought a non AC, PAS pump, does this not just sit in where the existing is coming out?

I do need the hoses but have yet to come across them, I also need a new belt for it all.

you need the hoses from a non aircon car too then move you PAS pump to where the aircon was and move your tensioner, you'll need a non aircon belt too

So...dusted the cobwebs off and started to put some effort in. Split with my partner so plenty of time to put into the Puma.

Booked a full day open pit-lane at Cadwell on 1st October, so some extra incentive to get it somewhat ready. (I hope there are some more Puma's there)

Planning on changing the oil, filter and plugs in the next fortnight. Is it worth changing the fuel filter? (I have seen a thread that described it as a bit of a mare given it was stuck on...)

Buying the tyre's this week... Going for Nankang NS2R's.

Brakes are on (however I need to replace the drivers side brake line which has come today, before i can test them :? .) i went for the 280mm discs (ST150) with Yellow stuff pads.)

still not managed to tidy the dash up, in need of a dremel. Something I only thought of yesterday was if i would fit in the car on the standard drivers seat with a lid on... I'm a short @rse at 5'7 which in this case is a positive as any taller and it would be a no go as its quite tight up near the door.

I removed the air con rad last week which means the only trace of AC in the car is the PAS/AC pump which I will do at a later date as it is not essential to getting on track.

I am however in the search for a radiator splash guard (under front bumper) because it cracked as I was taking it off to get to the rad... Any ideas where i may get one of these?

As well as this... I am now worried that since taking the front radiator (AC) out, it leaves the main Radiator exposed to stones and debris, which could obviously end a track day pretty quickly... does any one have a solution to this? some form of meshing maybe?

I've run without my aircon rad for ages, not had a problem. Have a look here regarding PAS pump removal http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3122&start=700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, its just a new belt with a slightly different route, will save a fortune.

Fuel filter is worth doing just cable tie the new one back on. Have you been to Cadwell before? If not watch plenty of videos to learn the track, its a tricky one and make sure you let off over the mountain or you could wreck your clutch. (I've a few videos on youtube of Cadwell in the Puma - maxtedsgarage) If you can afford the extra £20, get the instructor in the car, he will give you an extra 30 bhp.

Have fun and enjoy yourself but be ready for the post track day come down....and hide your credit cards afterwards

If you can make it a few Pumas are off to Blyton Park on 23rd Nov and its a cheap one, we will be there with my Puma and my sons Pumesta. I'm taking a few track virgins round and letting them loose in my car lol, what have I let myself in for....

Right... Well I have already got the non AC, PAS pump... just not the pipes to go with it.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter - Is it one off, one on? or is there some purging to do?

I have been Cadwell a good few times ever since being in a push chair and cycled/walked it a few times on a saturday night. I used to go with my parents to watch a family friend in the 750 Motor Club racing formula Vee's - Another of our friends raced Mighty Mini's.

I have been watching a few videos on youtube... you should stick a link below :) I was watching one video thinking how close they were getting for a track day... only to see a later video confirming it was the trackday challenge trophy/cup.

Not been cadwell for a while. last occasion was with my Step father on a track day with his track bike. (he was a funny shade of white after missing the apex going into halls)...

Great track and im looking forward to chasing some of the bigger motors through the twisties... only issue i can see is the lack of power up park straight and the fact that WHEN i manage to catch up in the corners... Cadwell is pretty narrow!

Haha, ill bury the credit card in the back garden...

I might just take a little look at the Blyton Park day... :wink: Itd be nice to actually meet some people from here in person and pick up some advice first hand.

Thats if Piquet hasnt gone pop at Cadwell.... Also im struggling to get a trailer sorted... I was aiming to head to Cadwell the night before and given i hope to be there all day, its likely any hire company will be wanting 3 days payment :-(

Oooh track virgins in your motor... :?

do you track the Puma much then?

Hi Sam, yeah I track the Puma a fair bit, not quite had it a year had this before the Puma

can't remember how many track days I've done but its a lot, only managed 4 so far this year though, here's a link to my youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/Maxtedsgarage/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeah Park straight is the Puma's weak spot at Cadwell but I do manage to get about 110 by the time i'm into the braking zone, but watch out for Park corner, its a lot sharper than it looks but then Chris's and the Goosneck are much faster than they look...as are Hall bends

Hear is a quick vid of me at Cadwell
http://youtu.be/4Iv7O3DyeT8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As noobrider pointed out park straight is where the puma lacks abit but the rest of the circuit it is very suited to the puma and it is a fantastic circuit, the instructor is a must!

Watched that video a few times Aaron, a very clean lap, do you trail brake? Also you changed down before coppice, I used to do that in the MG but it felt quicker if I stayed in 4th in the Puma and didn't change down until the entry into Charlies, just feels like you have more pull up the hill if you keep it planted from the start finish straight and use the momentum to carry you through coppice and up the hill.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-qcOq1AH8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this ones funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UaZmMDK2Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jake wass having trouble finding grip in his EK9 type R so passengered with me to find out why I was quicker than him. He is a top driver with a very fasy 190Bhp well sorted Civic

Yes I do trail brake and heel and toe (more now than what I did do), at that point I was changing down and by the end of the day I stayed in forth and had a few 4 wheel drift moments but the car stayed planted and carried on no matter what I threw at it. It would be great if we had a good showing of pumas on a trackday or even a puma day at a circuit????

yeah deffo agree, there's a few of us regular trackies that could discuss our fast bits to work out a perfect lap of a certain track and get a load of Pumas to kill everything on track.

That said I would really like to get some of the guys on here on track. I have organised a meet at Blyton to get 3 guys on track in my car to try it out and learn what little I know about track driving, maybe you can make it 23rd Nov through Javelin

I don't know where you guys live but I know clubs/forums can hire out teesside autodrome for not a lot.
The last one I did was full day opl and was £70.

Graeme

Looks like there's five pumas booked on that day. May pop over for an hour if it's dry, seeing it's only a 30 min drive see how your all getting on.

Latest posts

Back