Thermometer Clock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

Not really entertaintment i know!

But having trouble with a thermo clock from a fiesta ghia. I have hacked the back out of it and it fits in the standard slot ok. But i cant get a temp reading. Does it take time for it to get a reading does anyone know?

It just says --'C.

Also, how can i feed it through to the engine bay? Is it the grommit im always hearing about down in the passenger footwell?

Cheers guys.

Hi, just got around to fitting the external temp sensor and posh clock, here is what I did;

The parts you need are;

Fiesta Ghia X clock, with temp function
Ford temp probe (high spec Granada / Scorpio / Focus / Mondeo Mk1 & 2, all Mondeo Mk3, or the Fiesta the clock came out of), ideally with as long of a length of wiring beyond the plug as possible, and the clip to mount the plug.
Approx 5m twin core cable
Computer audio connector
Length of wire coathanger
Black duct tape
Torx screwdrivers
10mm socket
Crimp connectors
Computer audio connection (see below)
Cable ties

Preparation;

Remove the stereo and pop out your existing clock, you will notice that the plug is quite chunky. Remove the white plastic cover from the back of your new clock and enlarge the hole, a dremmel is ideal, but I did it with a stanley knife and pair of wire cutters.

Connect the 5m of cable to the temp sensor, I used crimp connectors and wrapped up the wiring with insulating tape.

When you look at the connectors on the back of the new clock, you will see there are 6 pins together as per your existing clock, and two pins on their own for the temp sensor. What I did was take the new clock to Maplin and look for computer audio connections that looked as though they would fit. I bought three different ones, took them home, and as the first one fitted well, returned the others. As you only need the plug with a length of wire stemming from it, snip the plug from the other end.

Take your temp sensor and temporarily connect to the new clock and plug into the cars wiring to make sure it works, if it does - positive eBay feedback, if not, check your connections, then contact the seller.

Right, so we know it all works, connect time to fit it.

1. remove front numberplate

ExteriorTemperatureSensor001.jpg

2. remove lower grille (tabs along the top and bottom, be careful, some will break)

3. Disconnect negative terminal of battery (10mm socket)

4. Open bonnet, remove top of airbox, disconnecting MAF from loom and ducting to throttle body

5. Remove upper grille (two torx)

6. Remove n/s headlamp (two torx and twist clip to inside front of headlamp to release rear catch.

7. Peel back rear insulating strip and remove engine bay fusebox lid (iirc 2 clips)

8. Unplug the two large plugs from the fusebox, this is only to make it a bit easier to get the temp sensor wiring through the grommet, along with the other wiring from the fusebox.

9. Release and open the wiring loom holder from the n/s of the engine bay - towards the rear of the engine bay this is held in place by a tie wrap with a push clip on it. If you are careful, you can snip a bit out and re-fit later with some more conventional tie wrap.

10. Remove and disconnect stereo

11. Remove and disconnect old clock

12. Peel back door rubber on n/s door to allow the carpet to be folded back, providing access to the kick panel area

ExteriorTemperatureSensor002.jpg

13. mount temp sensor, if you look behind the bumper to the o/s of where the numberplate mounts you will see a rectangular slot, this is the OE location for the temp sensor. I mounted the sensor here then clipped the sensor plug to the lower edge of the slam panel.
ExteriorTemperatureSensor003.jpg

14. run the wiring up to the top of the panel behind the bumper and then through the space in the panel to the headlamp area.

ExteriorTemperatureSensor009.jpg

15. the wiring for the headlamp and MAF runs through a tidy cover. Undo the clip and one end and the tape at the other, and fix the wiring inside it, before replacing the clip and using the duct tape to re-fix the other end of the cost.

16. the wiring then runs up the inside of the wing, through a wiring cover, run the new wiring through this, then into the upper fusebox from the left hand end, where you will see an opening.

17. check and secure your wiring so far with tie wraps, at this stage you can refit the wiring cover along the side of the engine bay.

18. take the coathanger, straighten it, and using the duct tape fix the end of the wire to it. Make sure the end isn't sharp, using the duct tape to blunt / soften it to avoid damaging the existing wiring.

ExteriorTemperatureSensor005.jpg

19. using the coathanger, ease the wiring down through the grommet into the cabin of the car.

20. reach up behind the edge of the glovebox and hopefully find the wiring. Remove the duct tape and extract the coathanger. Pull through any excess wiring.

21. you should have plenty of wire in the cabin now, so it is as good a time as any to connect the plug to the wiring.

22. route the wiring to the back of the clock area, connect to the new clock and connect the car loom to the clock. You can refit the clock now, but don't refit the stereo until we know it works.

23. refit airbox, connect ducting to MAF, reconnect loom to MAF

24. replace headlamp, don't forget to plug it in. Remember, two torx AND the twist clip.

25. reconnect the two large plugs in the engine bay fusebox, replace fusebox lid and the rubber sealing strip.

26. reconnect the battery

ExteriorTemperatureSensor012.jpg

27. check that the temp clock works as it did when you initially checked it prior to installation.

28. refit stereo

MiscInterior002.jpg

29. set clock, stereo settings

30. refit grilles & numberplate

and I think that is about it!

warrenpenalver added:
part no's:
temp sensing clock - 1011837 - £96.35
temp sensor - 6820218 - £50.93

If it is showing --C, I would suspect either the sensor is duff, or the clock isn't connecting to it, perhaps a wiring or connector issue?

Do the wires have to go a certain way? Ive got the snesor with the connector but no connector from theclock so ive just got two wires running out from it, was wondering if they have to connect a certain way round.

Was just holding the wires in place for now, but gettting no joy. Was going to solder them in if it worked properly.

Get a PC audio connector from Maplin, much easier if you need to take it out at a later date.

Does sound like either the sensor or the clock is duff though.

Easiest way to get a sensor is off any Mk3 Mondeo in the scrappers.

I have stalled with this project. Got the sensor installed down in its little slot, and ran the wire up under the headlight and up the wing. I can get as far as the fusebox then im stuck, dont know how to get in into it.

I undid two scres below and to the left of the fusebox, and that made it loose, but i couldnt lift it out completly.

Thats as far as i can get.

you mean the one in the engine bay?

just pop open the lid, run the wire into it from the bottom, then waggle it down through the gromet thing.

FlashBastd said:
you mean the one in the engine bay?

just pop open the lid, run the wire into it from the bottom, then waggle it down through the gromet thing.

Yeah. Where abouts from the bottom though? I cant see anyway into it. I assume it has to be pretty well sealed to stop water getting in

There is an opening in the bottom, towards the middle of the car. Where the wiring exits into the engine bay.

no, not at all

Don't need to unscrew anything.

Just remove the lid, undo the three multi-plugs to give a bit more movement in the rubber flexi grommety thing.

Have you got a pic of your underbonnet area?

ExteriorTemperatureSensor004a.jpg

In this pic you can see the routing of the cable into the fuse box

ExteriorTemperatureSensor005.jpg

This is the grommet going out of the fusebox, into the car, unhook from the fusebox and push the wire through into the cabin.

Right, i can see where the wires go in. But i tried poking them through but i couldnt get them to come up into the fuse box.

Don't know what to tell you, on mine it was just open at the bottom at that end.

Can you send me a pic of the fusebox with the lid off?

When i get home yeah. I know what your saying, sort of. There is a gap for the wires to go inon the left, but getting the wires into the fuse box seems impossible!

Latest posts

Back