BBC confirm - Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole thing was awkward, Evans clearly was having problems with no audience to play to when he was out of the studio, if you can force yourself to watch it again when it's in the studio, it suddenly changes from Top gear to look Chris Evans Here!
If it's not a flop I will procure a Bright green Vauxhall Tigra, change my name to Stephan and become a hair dresser. Is not that I don't like Chris Evans but he should stick to what he's good at, I.e. Taking the P, and taking about the 90s, and I will say there's some promise in Matt but it's to obvious it's scripted. There's no real opinion, and which twonk thought it would be ace to have a woman with a potty mouth, maybe I'm just to English and not into the whole EU thing. Give me back my three old blocks who think is funny to pose for a picture in front of my local speed camera, and sail the channel in a 4x4. The BBC dead, political correctness has overwhelmed it, and it is sinking deeper and deeper Into the depths of sensibility.

Just watched it, it's ok. Matt LeBlanc is a better presenter than Chris Evans too.

I'm not sure it'll do that well though. Clarkson, Hammond and May were/are all friends outside of the show and although it's all scripted I think some minor bits and pranks etc. were possibly just them being mates, genuine laughter at each other's mis-fortune. No chance of that happening with this new one, for a long time at least.

Frank said:
Back to Edd China + short, round guy and ErictheCarGuy (Youtoob) for me. :)

Ed China is good and has a wealth of knowledge. I find Mike Brewer irritating - especially with the scripted 'haggling' on price.

moondustka said:
[post]352534[/post] I find Mike Brewer irritating
I think everybody does. But I've worked with some irritating people in the past and have learned how to just zone people like that out and trust to karma and I do the same with him. He sorta doesn't exist.

Looking on the Net though, shows that he really get under the skin of many people.

I was disappointed... Chris Evans didn't look comfortable at all - he's much better suited to live shows. The old format had been starting to get a bit stale so for me it is a shame that things are exactly the same, identical set, same jipes about the stig etc. A missed opportunity to come up with something fresh. But I think fair to give it time and see what the other presenters are like.

Ps best uk car show in my opinion is Car SOS - some interesting cars, good presenters and good banter. Even my wife, who isn't into cars at all, likes it

Just watched it to see if any of the comments so far were correct....
God yeah, why is he shouting FFS!
13½ minutes in, just after the viper and corvette thing and he is about to introduce the Stig......no idea what happened next as I switched iplayer off.
Can't be done with that racket when Matt didn't have to raise his voice to be heard.
Feel sorry for Matt, hope it gets better for his sake....although I doubt I'll watch anymore unless I'm REALLY bored. :-(

Oh dear. What a waste of an hour. I had to watch until the end just to see if it got any better. It didn't. The presenters are wooden, no chemistry at all and I find it almost disrespectful (if that's even the right word!) that they've kept the format pretty much the same and are trying to emulate them.

Having just finished reading the book about Top Gear by Richard Porter (the Script Editor) which is actually a really, really good read, I can't help feeling a little sad at the state the programme is now in.

The old one wasn't perfect, but the new one is now shambolic. Maybe the kindest thing would have been to let it die.....

Matt LeBlanc was a surprise. The rest of the show was a missed opportunity - they had the perfect opportunity to reinvent things. Alas, all they've given us is all the worst bits of the old show with worse presenters. I hear that TG Extra is pretty good though - will give that a go soon.

XAF said:
Maybe the kindest thing would have been to let it die.....

Being the BBCs biggest show and export, I don't think they could afford to let it go!

I think Fanwheel is right, they missed an opportunity to come up with something fresh.

Perfect replacement for Evans and what the BBC could never afford Rowan Atkinson, car nut, and possible one of the UKs best comedians, now we'd all watch him and LeBlanc going on a dum ass road trip in a robin reliant and a BL mini.

I watched it last night and I was literally sat with my head in my hands. It was despicable how awful it was. Chris Evans trying so hard to be Jezza was the most cringeworthy moment on telly since Ryan Seacrest tried to high five a blind man. The parts that didn't contain Evans, mercifully there was some, were enjoyable. LeBlanc's review of the Ariel Nomad - btw OMG awesome - was rather good indeed, and there were parts of the Willys/Series segment I liked, but for the love of god BBC please get rid of Chris Evans, or at the very least sedate him severely.

Has anybody watched the more recent episodes of top gear? I have caught up with it recently and have to say it seems better now the other presenters have been given a chance. Sabine and Matt are engaging and a good fit, Eddie Jordan the resident clown, and Chris Harris/Rory Read best at the proper car reviews.

To me the show just has a feel of being a bit disjointed and produced in a rush, which perhaps is the problem with Chris Evans trying to do too much. Perhaps a good interviewer/ anchorperson but no more. Let's hope they can evolve it sensibly and stop repeating the old stig jokes and they will be some way there.

I've continued watching and I think you're right. I can't help but feel Chris Evans is what is making it irritating at times. The two stars in a rally cross car interview part is cringeworthy sometimes too.

Harris and Rory Reid are both great. Evans needs to stay in the studio, introduce each segment and do nothing more. He doesn't bring anything to any of the films. Eddie Jordan also needs to dissappear - I don't understand what his role is, aside from being spectacularly irritating.

It seems to me that all the films with multiple presenters in just don't work as there isn't the chemistry between them. Individually, they're not bad - the Model X and Vulcan films were great. The 4x4s in Africa was rubbish - we learned nothing about any of the cars.

Oh, and this reliance on celebs in each feature needs to stop. Immediately.

gingerdave said:
[post]353999[/post] Chris Evans has done a Cameron
..or a Garage Farage.

His resignation comes after falling ratings for the show - which hit a series low on Sunday night, with an average of 1.9 million viewers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

It would be a mistake though to think that all will be well now. There is still some German woman with the personality of a cackling turnip, some old guy who should be doing stair-lift ads or flogging Miracle Gro on ITV3 and an American guy who will be off like a shot as soon as some proper US work comes his way again.

Apart from that, future looks great. :p

Frp483 said:
[post]352522[/post] The whole thing was awkward, Evans clearly was having problems with no audience to play to when he was out of the studio, if you can force yourself to watch it again when it's in the studio, it suddenly changes from Top gear to look Chris Evans Here!
If it's not a flop I will procure a Bright green Vauxhall Tigra, change my name to Stephan and become a hair dresser. Is not that I don't like Chris Evans but he should stick to what he's good at, I.e. Taking the P, and taking about the 90s, and I will say there's some promise in Matt but it's to obvious it's scripted. There's no real opinion, and which twonk thought it would be ace to have a woman with a potty mouth, maybe I'm just to English and not into the whole EU thing. Give me back my three old blocks who think is funny to pose for a picture in front of my local speed camera, and sail the channel in a 4x4. The BBC dead, political correctness has overwhelmed it, and it is sinking deeper and deeper Into the depths of sensibility.
Well it's time to let my beloved Subaru wrx works wagon go, and thank Evans and top gear this season for being such a flop. Unless anybody has any objections I will be keeping my name as Alan, profession as engineer and be looking for Something other that a green Vauxhall Tigra.

Latest posts

Back