Charged & Puma'd Mk5 ZetecS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No actual 'development' as such but I have been trying to sort a few things out in the background, namely how I am going to drive the supercharger.

I am still working on the double pulley idea... and have removed the pulley from my old A/C compressor to use as a test piece/experiment. I have chosen this as it was only going to end up at the rubbish tip and will save me spending £50+ on something just to chop it up and experiment with. It is also larger than the crank pulley by 20mm.
I have given it to someone who works in metal fabrication who is going to remove the middle and machine down the side, leaving just the pulley/grooved part. He will then make a new centre so I can attach it to the existing crank pulley on the engine.

View media item 6172

I don't exactly know how this is going to work out (if at all)... it's just an experiment at the moment.

When the pulley 'situation' is sorted I will move on to making a template for the mounting bracket for the charger.

I took another look at your pictures where you test fitted the charger. Make sure that it clears the starter motor because it protrudes a couple of inches in front of the engine block.

Alex

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't even think about me test fitting that without the starter there. That didn't even cross my mind.

I'm grateful for that siju... I could have made a very large mistake there..! :grin:

You're welcome. I've done this mistake otherwise it wouldn't have crossed my mind. I thought that the eaton M62 would easily fit horizontaly above the oil filter but I was wrong!

Alex

Finally some kind of update!

Some new parts have been gathered:
Innovate O2 sensor and digital gauge
Short oil filter
Tubular manifold
Centre exhaust section/racetube + new gasket

Waiting for:
Crank pulley
Exhaust flexi joint

This Sunday (14th June) the car will be collected from my garage and taken to a friend to be put on his lift for 2 days. While it is there the following work will be done:
Hole in the floor welded and 2 other areas ground/cleaned
Replace gearbox with reconditioned unit with new clutch & slave
Fit tubular manifold
Fit new centre exhaust section
Weld/fabricate exhaust section from manifold to centre including flange and flexi joint.

This will be the biggest/most substantial amount of work completed which is going to be a HUGE step forward for this project.
I am also considering getting it on the road for a short period so I can actually drive the car and have a bit of fun in it!

Something has been niggling me in the back of my mind for ages... the crank pulley. I'm not convinced I can get the custom pulley I was having made fitted PERFECTLY mounted on the existing crank pulley without it causing vibrations or even coming off.
So, a BIG thanks to IanG for helping me find a suitable replacement.. a double crank pulley from a Focus that fits on to the Puma crank... although I still need to check/verify alignment with the other pulleys/accessories and find a suitably sized crank bolt if necessary.
Also a big thanks to st220kyle for spotting one of these pulleys on his car and making me look for one.

Sounds like your going to have plenty to crack on with

Don't forget to get plenty of pictures 👍

Oh my.. after all these years we finally have some actual progress!!!

Car got collected today - Sunday 14th June 2020

Prepped for replacement gearbox and clutch

Gearbox ready for installation

To keep track of what bolts we removed, any bolts that were removed were put in their respective places in the refurbed gearbox. They will then get transfered to the old gearbox when that is removed and put back on the car in the correct places when the refurbed gearbox gets installed.

Welding of the floor progressing

Exhaust started

As it stands now, floor is welded and exhaust is finished. Tomorrow will be the gearbox and clutch..

All of the major work on the car is now finished - welding, exhaust and gearbox

Considering how little the car has been used in the last 2+ years, it has done very well.
The PAS pump looks like it has a leak and the water pump has a small weep.
Rust wise, the car was worse than I expected underneath, but also a lot better. There is surface corrosion but nothing that can't be cleaned and treated. Even the areas up by the rear beam mounts are actually quite tidy.
Now I have access to a lift, the underneath will get cleaned and treated/undersealed in the near future.

Oops.. forgot to update the thread :roll:

MOT was a successful pass, with a few advisories all of which will/would have been addressed in the near future.

I even got to actually drive the car on the road for a couple of days! Finally after all this time...

Happy to hear that! I have frozen my supercharged project a bit. Here in Greece it's really hot these days 35+ celsious so not a lot of incentive to go on.

I'm really happy with the car at the moment. Now I can actually take to my house and do work on it, where I can use electricity and a toilet!

Also did an oil change after the gearbox went on, and fitted a short oil filter.

Thanks Barry

I've had these a few weeks but only just got to actually looking at them properly..

1x pair of rear panels for £36.95 delivered.
They are quite thick and really sturdy. I would not be surprised if they are thicker than the metal that's already on the car!

Next jobs are going to be..
- Cambelt change
- Fit double crank pulley (with cambelt)
- Weld/repair hinge on original door and fit with new hinge pins
- Make bracket/mount for supercharger

I got them from eBay Barry.. I didn't expect much for the price, but I am very pleased with them.

I had a random moment and looked for some on eBay with no intention of buying them as I didn't expect to find them that cheap especially for a pair. I couldn't believe the price - I read the listing 4 times to make sure I was reading it correctly! As they were the 'last one' I thought is would be silly to miss out, especially at that price.. so I grabbed them.

Considering I priced the same parts from a website that supplies all sorts of panels for the Mk5 and they were £40 each/per side plus delivery.

Thanks Barry.

Fitted the boost gauge

Next job was to replace the oil in the supercharger. The head rounded off the drain plug (common issue apparently) so I pulled off the snout. The oil absolutely stunk.. it was disgusting. I've never smelt anything like that before it was rancid!

View media item 6223

Maybe I can get a nut welded on to the bung...

View media item 6224

Latest posts

Back