Charged & Puma'd Mk5 ZetecS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have cut the mounting plate for the charger from the 5mm thick steel plate. It's a little untidy round the edges, but once I get it finished I will tidy it up and square off my cuts before I paint it.
Just need to offer it up to the engine and mark/drill the lower mounting holes.

View media item 6260

Also got the pipe for the boost gauge connected so I can now read the vacuum in the inlet.. can't wait to see boost instead!

I have got all the parts to fit the fuel pressure regulator which may be next on my list..

Nice to see the progress. Have you thought about how you'll deal with the oil filter?

Cheers

Alex

The belt has passed its prime, if I may say so! :!:
Nice project, BTW, can't wait to see it finished although I would not sacrifice the A/C compressor, but rather the PS pump :wink:

Wild E...

That is a random/unused belt I had spare from an old Puma. It has been in storage for a long time and yes, it is old but still good for measuring and mocking up. :grin:

siju said:
Nice to see the progress. Have you thought about how you'll deal with the oil filter?

Cheers

Alex
Sorry Alex.. I forgot to reply... I bought a short/stumpy filter for a 1.4

Other news.... Fitted the fuel rail return..

And the fuel pressure regulator..

The regulator is set to 2.7 bar.
I have not attached a vacuum hose to it yet as I want to get the wideband O2 sensor mounted and working first.

Along with vac hose and clips a supercharger bypass arrived today..

View media item 6278
I connected it to the inlet manifold to see if it opens on idle which it does.

Today I connected the fuel pressure regulator to the inlet with length of vacuum hose and got wideband gauge wired and working although it shows an error due to the actual O2 sensor not being connected.

At this point, most of the smaller jobs are complete.

Next was to look at mounting the charger bypass. If there is enough space I plan to mount it directly between the charger inlet & outlet.

View media item 6279
I made a plate to mount it to and a piece of pipe will be welded to the back of the plate.

View media item 6280

This is essentially what is left to do:
* Replace cambelt & water pump + fit replacement/double pulley - Booked for Friday 18th Sept.
* Make mount for charger
* Make inlet & outlet for charger and fit bypass
* Pipework from charger to intercooler
* Pipework from intercooler to throttle body - Already made just needs fitting
* Pipework from air filter & MAF to charger
* Fit clips to all vac pipes
* Route all breather pipes to catch can

Thanks Alex.

Not much to do but feels like lots and things are not going to progress as quick as I want.

I tidied up the mounting plate and sprayed on some primer to try and keep the rust at bay until I get it fully completed and powder coated/painted.
Did a test fit..

View media item 6284
View media item 6285

While I'm waiting for the cambelt etc. to be replaced I have been trying to find little jobs to do. I've never been happy with the Halfrauds paint I used on the inlet so I set about cleaning my spare one ready for painting.

It's good how handy a cat litter tray can be - cheap parts cleaner!

That's better...

Something that has been in the back of my mind was the PCV valve. As they work on vacuum from the inlet I don't think it would work very well being subject to boost.. so I set about solving that problem.
I removed the small pipes for the PCV valve piping and drilled & tapped the holes to M10..

Blanked off the holes with 2 shortened M10 bolts and a good squirt of thread sealant..

The PCV valve will be piped along to a catch can which in turn will be piped back to the inlet piping somewhere after the MAF but before the charger.
I have read that there should also be a check valve between the catch can and the inlet piping.. which I need to investigate further.
My initial idea was to just pipe it to the catch can and not return in to the inlet... but as you know with anything on the internet everyone has different ideas about how things should be done and people are saying it should be piped back to the inlet.

I almost did a similar mod to my project car, but talked myself out of it on further consideration.
That configuration will prevent your crankcase from pressurizing but wont do a great job scavenging gasses out of your crankcase.
You may or may not care about that, and it may or may not ever cause you any problems.
Remember, there are other functions on the car that also use engine vacuum, and you wont be in boost at all times so more than likely you don't need to change anything at all.
You certainly could add a check valve in the PCV line if you wanted a second layer of protection against boost going back into the crankcase, but its probably overkill.

Scavenging gases was the reason I wanted to pipe it back to the inlet before the charger so I can still have vacuum on the valve.
I was trying to avoid a situation where the valve breaks/jams open and I end up pressurizing the crank by adding check valve.

Inlet painted..

Inlet looks cool 👍

I'm looking forward to you getting the cambelt and pulley done, there will be no stopping you now you've come this far!
Nice work 👌

Well.. I have bad news...

The cambelt change was done, along with the new water pump and rocker cover gasket.
Engine turned over great by hand and it's 'first start' was good.. apart from a monumental oil leak which was enough to soak the new cambelt and everything else.
The car is still there waiting for yet another cambelt.

Other no-so-bad news is the new/double pulley I got to run the charger does not fit correctly.
Based on measurements from an OEM pulley from my spare engine, I worked out the double pulley needed machining down by around 2.5mm.
When I put this on to the engine in the car, the front face of the pulley was flush with the end of the crank whereas the OEM pulley we removed from that engine protruded over the end of the crank by.... yes, you guessed it. around 2.5mm!
So.. it seems both of the OEM pulleys were slightly different for some reason.
That's about £30 in total washed down the drain.... not a huge amount but that could have gone toward all the small clips, pipes and 'sundries' I'm still to get.

Also, typically I have now got a few other smaller parts I can start to put on the car, but I can't as it's not here.....

Update:
No, the engine is not broken.. as seems to happen after these cambelt changes.. the new belt took ages to arrive and should be fitted in the next day or 2.
I got another double pulley from IanG. I'm not going to machine or do anything to it.. it's going to get fitted straight on.

Finally got the car back... last few weeks been a bit up and down with not knowing when it would be sorted out.

After a long wait the new cambelt arrived and was successfully fitted - everything was re-aligned, locked, tensioned and torqued.

The next problem was the aux belt - the one I had on the car (6PK-1305) was a little tight when I originally fitted it but due to the slightly larger double crank pulley it was now too short. There was no way we could squeeze it on.
I cut the old belt and fed it around the pullies with the tensioner turned half way. I measured the belt to be around 15mm too short.

We did a quick start of the engine to check it ran perfectly (yes, we did turn the engine several times by hand to check!) but it revved really high and wouldn't slow down. I guessed (with a little hope) it was because the alternator wasn't running as we had no aux belt on there.

I bought a 6PK-1320 belt for a Vauxhall Agila 1.3D (with A/C) which fitted on the Puma engine perfectly. Didn't really want to spend almost £23 but I needed the belt.. and to be honest, the old one was due to be changed anyway.

Once the belt was fitted, the engine started, ran and revved up fine although we ended up with a stubborn air lock in the coolant system. That was solved after I removed the expansion cap when the coolant was hot enough to turn the rad fan on - it basically 'burped' the system and pulled all the air out.

Not much to get any pictures of... except the new crank pulley...

The weather has turned for the worse here so that has slowed down progress.

When I was looking through my garage and found a spare idle valve and throttle body. I cleaned them up and painted them to go with the painted inlet.
I fitted the oil catch can and plumbed the rocker cover breather to it.

I've also been working on the filter/inlet side. I am changing how I was going to do the filter, MAF etc. but not actually completed that yet.

I'm not driving the car far at the moment. I caught a small pothole with the front N/S wheel and now I have a horrible rattle/banging.
I've also got play in the steering. I can slightly turn the steering wheel left/right without the front wheels turning, while I am doing this the steering wheel doesn't have any resistance.
I need to get the car up on a ramp to investigate.

Latest posts

Back