Nancy - Moondust silver 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken.

Now for my elongated waffle...sorry again...

I'm just thinking about the state of my tyres when I bought the car i.e. nearly through to the canvas on the inside of both front wheels but the rest of the tyres were hardly worn. I got new tyres/wheels and got the tracking sorted (which was a bloody mile out) and never had a problem since. I had it tracked again when I replaced the front tyres again (they had worn pretty evenly) but toe'd the wheels in a little so they were set dead zero as I was getting a 'very' - and I mean very - small increase in wear to the insides, this seems to have done the trick as my tyres are wearing perfectly even now.

From what I've seen on here it seems the Puma is renowned for inner wear and the tracking being knocked out easily so if it was me, and this is just me, I would get someone to check the ball joints and/or get the tracking checked if it hasn't been done for a while. You could ask whoever does the tracking for advice if they think the ball joints are ok but if the tracking is a mile out then it's worth getting it set correctly. As it sounds like you need new tyres I'd advise getting the tracking done as part of the course anyway plus it's not 'too' expensive. I get it done up here for £14 with National Tyres as they're always sending out discount vouchers, their full price is £25 which is about the norm. If your tracking isn't out, most garages don't even charge for checking so you don't really have much to lose.

When you get your new tyres you could give them a weekly check to see if they start wearing more on the inside and then go from there.

I suppose the ideal situation would be to positively diagnose that the ball joints are gone (of course it's better for you if they haven't) then you know where you are and can get them sorted and get your new tyres and tracking done knowing they will last.

Fingers crossed it's the cheapest option whatever the problem ;)

i think it was one of the ball joints but would wanna double check first before you start spending any money! the shocks as well could be scrubbing the tyres out.

let me know when you want the service! :eek:k:

Don't forget to get the ball joints looked at. I'm not a mechanic but guessing one should be able to establish whether they're goosed or not with a little inspection and tell you the honest truth. That'll be the hard part, finding someone who isn't going to say they're knackered to simply make more cash!!

thank you for your purchase
Our Sales Team are now processing your order which will be dispatched as soon as possible, but please allow 5/7 days for delivery.

Transaction id: WEB/3237664
Date: 10th Sep 2010 20:22
If we have anything to report which concerns your order and /or we require any further details from you, we will either email or phone.

Contact Larkspeed Performance Centre
Thank you for your valued custom. We hope you will be completely satisfied with our service and our products.
For further details or additions to your order please contact us.
Internet Sales Manager
email: [email protected]
telephone: 0113 264 3231
telephone: +44 113 264 3231 (INTERNATIONAL)

fax: 0113 284 0188
fax: +44 113 284 0188 (INTERNATIONAL)

Ordered some shocks and springs but another forum member said he was told they were out of stock so I may not be getting them :(

UPDATE: Gmax shocks are out of stock until further notice, even at Gmax! I need new shocks now really as they are starting to rub the tyres (I think) so it will cost a lot to not fix them now. There are a few other kits at £200ish - can anyone give any feedback on any of these please?

KF HighTech (German)
Supersport Sprint (German)
Venom

I won't fit anything to my car without recommendation so I will have to go with Ford shocks and no lowering springs if no-one can advise me about these.

i went with spax kit when i first got my cat and had no issues from them at all and i was pleased with the performance aspect of them. i paid 240-250 about 3 years ago so im not sure what the cost of them would be now but i would certainly recommend them to you if you can get them within your price range.

Def can't afford them :( - have only heard good things about them. I just don't love my car enough to rip money out of the mortgage fund to pay for it any more!

Just checked and Spax VSX are £256 so really only £30 more than I would be paying for the above but £40 more then the Gmax. It isn't totally impossible I suppose!

Thanks for your help :)

no problem. i hope all goes well. that being said i think marcus might be selling his new kit but you would have to meassage him about it so that might be a cheaper option for you. i have my kit available at the end of the month when i put my coilovers on but i think a deposit is being made on it so im of no use to you sorry :(

contact marcus tho he might suprise you :)

*Might* be getting a one off gift of £1k to spend on the car. Plan is, in order:

• Fix rust approx £5-600
  • Fix shocks and fit lowering springs at the same time approx £350
  • See what's left and fix little things like buy new wheel centre caps and a battery cover?

Sensible suggestions welcome ;)

Spax VSX kit ordered.

Looks like I am not getting the money now anyway but have decided to ruin my savings instead :twisted:

Latest posts

Back